Public Liability Insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have searched this site but didn't find the answer.
Not sure if I am allowed to ask, so Mr Moderator please delete this if I am breaking your rules.
If the question is allowed, I am not sure where to post it, so Mr Moderator please move it if in wrong place.

And, finally, the question...

It is coming up to the time to renew my Public Liability Insurance. I have changed the type of work I do so I want to shop around. (Was an IT Consultancy, now doing property maintenance, decorating, etc.) Can anyone recommend an insurance company that has given them a good deal or good service for this type of work :?:

Sponsored Links
Don't know if it's any help but we always used an old fashioned smaller broker(still do) but to a lesser degree now. We tried the direct firms and often struggled. A good broker is invaluable to anybody in business.

By getting all your insurances from them they are not really dearer and can often get you cover that you may find hard to get yourself. Tell them what you do and let them do the leg work. They also check for any overlaps or lack of cover that you may miss.

Good luck in your venture.

i recently took out insurance to cover my landscaping, but also wanted the scope to cover building maintainence. Found a very good policy with Axa which has a very large coverall and was well priced for the level of cover. Various companies on the net offer it so worth putting a search in for it and ringing around a few. I think it was about £300 including employers liability and part time workers as well. The best a broker could find me was £1200!

Shows the value of shopping round that Thermo. A couple of years back we had similar problem with buildings insurance on one of our industrial units. The building was motor trade which is considered higher risk partly because of flammable liquids and gases. We were paying around £1600 PA which is then passed on to the tenant, he thought we were overcharging him but the best quote he got was nearly £4000. By coincidence we were also with AXA, but through our broker. To be honest I'm not sure if the direct sell insurance companies are interested in the more complicated industrial policies though.

Sponsored Links
As an IT consultant you probably should have had professional indemnity insurance, not public liability insurance. Suppose it depends on who you did jobs for.

I know a good (small) company (we have most of our insuracne with them, nice people, good service, not very expansive plus th cover you need):
Independent Insurance Service
Tel: 01303 221188

Eddie M said:
As an IT consultant you probably should have had professional indemnity insurance, not public liability insurance. Suppose it depends on who you did jobs for.

Yes, I actually have Professional Indemnity (£2m), Public Liability (£1m)and Employer's Liability (£10m) all under one umbrella policy. It was provided in conjunction with an IT Professional Contractors Group (PCG). It is coming up for renewal but is not applicable now that I am not renewing my PCG membership (not working in IT now). The premium last year was £325.50 which I thought was good. I have asked the Agent to find me a replacement but I thought someone accessing this web site might have a recommendation based on personal experience. I like to shop around for things like this :!:

WoodYouLike said:
I know a good (small) company (we have most of our insuracne with them, nice people, good service, not very expansive plus th cover you need):
Independent Insurance Service
Tel: 01303 221188

Thanks for this. I will give them a call.

None are good !!! but we use Axa which seem to be the best our broker could find, I don't deal with that side of things, the wife does but she wouldn't have gone with them if they werent compeditive, good luck

All these different types of insurance are one of the reasons we use a broker. If he makes a mistake he is professionally liable and insured for it. I would be very careful with any online companies they only give you what you ask for and are a minefield with their clauses.

Where are you from?

none are good but the axa policy covered the lot and had very few exclusion clauses. im about 5 times bitten fifty times shy now!

Sponsored Links
Back