Getting waste/trap fittings for non-standard basin - HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help. I know it's sad but I've fallen in love with a basin. It's a handmade arty thing by an artist in Poland, selling via Etsy and it's the most beautiful sink I've ever seen in my life. But my partner doesn't want me to buy it if I can't be sure we can fit it. I've asked about the size of the hole in the basin and the artist says it's 42-44mm which she says is a standard size and I can see from her reviews she's sold hundreds around the world for years and all five star reviews (confirmed via Etsy) with delighted customers all with fitted working basins, so I've no reason to doubt that it's a standard size in Poland or some countries. But it's just the basin, doesn't come with any hardware. So I'm trying to work out if I can get a UK trap to fit it or even order a Polish one from somewhere if needs be. I thought maybe I can use a kitchen sink trap as they are larger but they all seem to be connected to the little overflow things and this sink doesn't have an overflow. I asked a UK plumber but he said he couldn't say without trying and I can't afford to make a mistake here.

I found just one universal trap which said it needed a minimum 40mm hole which looked perfect but they were out of stock (and very expensive). Can anyone point me in the direction of the right product to buy? Needs to be brassy, gold or that sort of colour too to go with the basin.

I know it's a silly want, and I should be practical and just get a UK one, but I've given up so many of my dreams lately and this would bring me happiness every time I use it (so long as it works). Can anyone help pleeeeeease? :)

Sponsored Links
It’s not just the trap, you’ll need a waste connection, slotted waste, unslotted, pop up type usually to match a tap. Do you know if there’s a built in overflow? (Most do)

I would suggest that 42-44mm is correct hole size for a standard 1 1/4 basin waste they have a top flange around 65mm.
You would need a unslotted one and if it needs to pass through a worktop of any thickness needs to be extra long one as well.
Have a look on bristan's website they do a large range and nice quality.

Sponsored Links
Thank you SO much. I have gone ahead and bought it. My partner said in the end we'll figure it out (he's pretty handy), because he could see my stomach hurt every time I thought about not getting it LOL. I'm not spoiled, I promise. But when you know you just know. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Two from same seller fitted here. May give clues. Also, I would imagine seller will give advice if you ask.

1706984338082.png

1706984351532.png

Last edited:
Yes, it was hopeful given the number of positive reviews with pictures. I've gone ahead and ordered it and will figure it out. The seller has sent me the link to a polish company that sell them if I can't get the right thing here. Thank you for replying. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back