gfci receptical

yankey-sparkey: welcome aboard! as you can see we are not to sure about American codes. it would would be great if you came back often.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
yankey-sparkey: welcome aboard! as you can see we are not to sure about American codes. it would would be great if you came back often.
I'll keep an eye out. Unfortunately I don't know much about Canadian codes (there's been at least one Canadian poster), but I'll do what I can.

I'll keep an eye out. Unfortunately I don't know much about Canadian codes (there's been at least one Canadian poster), but I'll do what I can.
A cross between American and French, I guess :LOL:

Interesting what you say about GFCI nuisance tripping by motors - never heard of that here. I know that US GFCI receptacles are 10mA or less, which is pretty sensitive - what causes the trip? EMI noise suppression in the appliance? Phase shifts?

ban-all-sheds said:
Interesting what you say about GFCI nuisance tripping by motors - never heard of that here.
Maybe that's why you're not allowed to use them in UK bathrooms! :p

In all seriousness, I don't know for sure why motors trip GFCIs. My only theory is that, as you say, the phase shift in the current due to highly inductive loads (transformers can trip them too) fools the GFCI into thinking there is a discrepancy between the hot and neutral currents (which, of course, is what the GFCI is designed to detect).

The phase shift is awfully small though and I don't think GFCIs are quite that sensitive. Then again, it doesn't happen all the time. Inrush currents when the motor is starting up probably make the problem worse and help the GFCI trip.

Sponsored Links
your link does not work :( , and when you copy / paste the url it is NOT a diy forum :cry:

breezer said:
...it is NOT a diy forum :cry:

No, but it's quite interesting, as long as you avoid the photos of electical burn victims :mad:

And there is a bulletin board on there see this terrible software compared to diynot though). It has DIY-ers asking questions and getting helpful replies. No sign of MB's US cousin, but I didn't look that hard.

A common question seems to be how to wire up 3-way (what we call 2-way) light switches! :eek:

I reckon when we first make contact with an alien civilisation we'll find them asking "how do I wire up a 2-way matter detransmogrification switch?" :confused:

Back