Ghost central heating!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I currently have a a gravity fed central heating and hit water system. Its serviced by a baxi 'solo' boiler (about 2 years old). The controller is a British gas up 2 aka Drayton lp122. I am upgrading in the distance future but for now it stays, and need a fix for this ...

During the summer I kept hearing the boiler kick in, and on some mornings it would be exceptionally hot in the house, when I got home from shifts. I caught the heating on once when it shouldn't be! Had the summer bill and even the company said it was high usage for a British summer!!!!
Today I heard the boiler fire up, checked it and can hear water running. The controller is switched to off (its not even the correct time to come on). The only way I could get it to switch off was to turn the power off to the whole system.
I thought it might be some king of default engineering setting and have read the manuals, but its not.

Do I have gremlins, ghosts or something wrong somewhere?

Sponsored Links
microswitch on one of your motorised valves is sticking which then gives power to boiler and pump even though the clock is set to off

Just googled it and I definitely think you are right, either sticking occasionally or dying slowly!

Is it something I can ease myself or more serious and needs replacing. Are the switches a 'plug and play' or do I need a gas professional?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back