Central Heating Quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have storage heaters at the moment and also hot water on electrics, so I got a quote from British Gas to have Central Heating put in!

Its only a 2 bedroom masionette and it would of been a combi boiler and 6 radiators and the quote was.......

£5000 + VAT

Is that about right? I am also thinking about waiting until the summer and getting a Corgi Registered installer to give a quote?

Sponsored Links
Its about right for BG but you will find cheaper if you shop about.
Your plan about getting a Corgi installer to do it in the summer is a better one. Ask about and see if you can find someone who is recommended.
Dont assume that the cheapest quote or for that matter the most expensive quote will be the best.
Ask your prospective installer if there will be TRV's fitted to at least all but one radiator what roomstat or better still programmable room stat will they be fitting and what additives he proposes to use.to flush out and protect your system. Actually the more questions you have to ask then the more feel you will get about their ability to do a good job.

Unless you live in Mayfair or the quote includes underfloor heating I would definately get other estimates! Way over the top!

sleaver said:
I have storage heaters at the moment and also hot water on electrics, so I got a quote from British Gas to have Central Heating put in!

Its only a 2 bedroom masionette and it would of been a combi boiler and 6 radiators and the quote was.......

£5000 + VAT

Is that about right? I am also thinking about waiting until the summer and getting a Corgi Registered installer to give a quote?

6 rads + con boiler + trv,s and pipework and a diff bypass ,timer and room stat 1800 + vat

Sponsored Links
Hard to say without knowing what your budget for a boiler is, and also hard to say as we don't know sizes of rads.

I'd charge about £1300 labour though, including powerflush (but not chemicals at £20), boiler probably between £600-£1100, rads maybe £250? Other like TRV's & materials maybe £30?

BG are a relentless money making machine....

Wait till summer, your heating engineer will thank you.

Now I see your prices as way too low!

Just the TRVs would be £100 for us as we use the Drayton TRV4, then room stat, auto bypass, tubing. You dont seem to have added anything for the copper tube, your £30 only juct covers the room stat and auto bypass.

Our unseen telephone quote would be Boiler cost plus £740 to instal, £400 to remove HW cylinder and feed cistern and convert to combi plus £300 per radiator.

Thats:-

Remove cylinder etc. £0400

Boiler supply £0800

Fit boiler inc powerflush £0740

Rads inc valves 6 x £300 £1800
--------
TOTAL £3740
--------

Is ACO saying that VHL, CH, would all do it much cheaper?

Add 30% to our figure for the BG markup and thats the £5k.

Tony

B.O.B Dole and his ilk are the reason I don't waste my time quoting for heating jobs anymore.

Are they using gold plated radiators in Willesden now Tony??? Is that to make them more resistant to corrosion?

£300 per radiator???!!! Aaaaaaargh! Even the 2 foot single panel in the internal bathroom in a maisonette??? Were you a BG man?!

VHL, AATBF etc would be more expensive than me, but less than BG.

My cost of £1300 is still more than your £740 + £400. As for the total cost, I'd aim to do it for around £2500, depending on the boiler they choose. My preferred boiler, the Vaillant Ecotec range have an inbuilt bypass, so no need for external.

I use Danfoss RasC TRV's which I can get for about £5 each in the right place. I'll visit my rag and bone man for the copper...

Agile said:
Now I see your prices as way too low!

--------
TOTAL £3740
--------
Tony

Tony - are these prices including VAT?

Materials are a huge cost which many people do not consider. When you make a £400 order from BES for copper fittings, it has to be paid somehow. If you don't buy in bulk then you end up paying over the odds for the same from the local merchants.

Its only ever possible for one to estimate the cost of fittings, pipe etc. Even harder to do when we haven't seen the job...

PS: Tony, I've never seen any evidence that Drayton TRV's are worth the extra money (lots of it). They may make good noises at trade fairs, but I go to an awful lot of TRV 3's that have stuck down pins with the heads hanging half off them!!

solo said:
B.O.B Dole and his ilk are the reason I don't waste my time quoting for heating jobs anymore.

So solo brain cell my quote is just about right looks like most of the rest are rip off merchants
dont forget we are only talking about a massonette flat here not windsor castle.

I totally agree that the TRV3s are one of the worst stickers after the Wickes TRVs.

However the TRV4 is completely redesigned as bidirectional and I have never seen one stuck ( yet ! ).

Tony

I've never seen a RAS C2 stuck either, but thats probably because (like the TRV4) they are fairly recent to the market. Why not save your customer money and make your quote more competitive by going for the cheaper version from a reasonably well respected manufacturer such as Danfoss?

BOB Dole, whether your quote is a rip off or not depends on what boiler you are suggesting to put in. If you are putting in a £500 Main HE combi or a Chaffoteux then your quote may not be a rip off but is NOT a good offer!

B.O.B DOLE said:
sleaver said:

£5000 + VAT

6 rads + con boiler + trv,s and pipework and a diff bypass ,timer and room stat 1800 + vat

christ you couldn't even make beer money at them rates

OK

stick the trv's (they usually do anyway)

5 bedroom 2 rec 1 breakfast + kitchen 3 floors (like me attic)

14 rads

decent combi IE 35 KW how much ?????

it might be worth me transporting you up ere ;)

assuming you do a decent job :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

B.O.B DOLE said:
Why the VAT? Surely your turnover can't be high enough, what with all the callbacks to installation faults, and non-payers for sh*t jobs, and business expenses like law suits, and court fines for beating up traffic wardens, and extra DERV for oil and an over-rich fuel mixture on a worn transit engine that pumps out smoke, short-term custodial sentences for threatening to wring the scrawny neck of DIY forum members, etc.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back