British Gas Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am going to get British Gas to quote me for a new central heating system (I currently only have storage heaters).

Does anyone know if they are any good? service, installation, price etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Chances are their price will be way over the top. Useful to get a BG quote anyway and then use it as a reference point when getting sensible quotes from independents.

Probably be at least 1/3rd more than a good independant :eek:

Look for a local installer who is registered on Plumb Center's A1 scheme. You will get a £275 rebate for taking storage heaters out, of which I give the householder £225 so I don't lose my £50 I normally get from A1:cool:

they are generally more expensive than anyone else

they are a reliable company and will not run off with your money.
Many of their staff are good, but some will be inexperienced. If they make a mistake or do a bad job you can keep on at them until they put it right

You can probably get them to give you a couple of years of free service and make them come and mend it free if it goes wrong.

Obviously the costs are built into the price they charge.

Sponsored Links
dont forget that you are unlikley to actually get a BG installer doing the job anyway

:)

I am also in the process of getting a quote to have gas connected to the house.

Will I have to get the gas connected before any installer worth there salt, will give me a quote?

Also, has anyone got a ball park figure for connection (about 10 metres), a metre and a full central heating system for a two bedroom terraced house (currently with storage heaters), probably 5 rads, boiler and everything else required.

Ball park gas connection approx £100/metre.

I have fitted many heating systems that have awaited gas connection and meter a few weeks later.

Ball park Vaillant combi + 5 rads £3100 + VAT

dont forget that you are unlikley to actually get a BG installer doing the job anyway

thats crap for starters. 90% of work done for british gas in wales is direct labour and its very similar throughout britain as well

thats rubbish for starters. 90% of work done for british gas in wales is direct labour and its very similar throughout britain as well

in surrey, i would say 90% of work is done by subbies, I have no idea about what they do in wales cos I dont live there.

Also I have no idea where the OP lives, if he is in wales YAY if not boo!

Oh and go easy on saying someones opinion is "rubbish" could come over as being rude that

;)

Theres a hell of a lot of subbies round here as well installing for BG :rolleyes:

And bear in mind the subbies get something like a princely £200 for putting the boiler in :rolleyes: .

And bear in mind the subbies get something like a princely £200 for putting the boiler in :rolleyes: .

no wonder the majority of them do such a terrible job. £200....BG need a serious kick up the arse for that kind of insult.

Mainly subbies around my way and always has been.
In the old days the punishment for pis#ing the foreman off was getting put on the heating team for a few weeks knocking your pan in for the same money as fitting radiants/cookers/servicing etc certainly made you know where bread was buttered.

Inreply to original question you can demand direct labour does it which i would advise you do but you will have to wait

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back