Giany yucca: removal tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a house, where there is a giant (8ft tall, 5ft wide) yucca plant in the front garden. It totally dominates the garden.

Removing the plant -- how deep/widespread are the roots?
Cutting it back -- looks like I'd need a machete! Can/should they be chopped back?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
I don't think you can chop them back as they grow from the top. WRT the root system, as they grow in very arrid conditions normally, I wouldn't be surprised if the root system is very extensive. However in our wetter climes, maybe the roots won't need to spread as far. If it were my garden, I'd probably remove it, it sounds like it has got too big.

>WRT the root system, as they grow in very arrid conditions normally, I wouldn't be surprised if the root system is very extensive. <

Thats what I'm worried about. I suppose I could dig out the main root bowl and leave the rest under the lawn....

Mike

the roots can be a real sod to get out sending down a long tap root straight down. Dig it out as much as you can if its like this then a good application of a proprietry root killer and you should be ok. oh and wear gloves and goggles as the leaves and spikes are an absolute sod to work near

Sponsored Links
yukka?... are you sure its not a Dracaena palm?(lots about down here in cornwall)... if you cut them down to the ground they shoot up a more manageable sizeed lower plant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back