Gillette blades

These days i use a Mach 3.
I’ve just gone back to them. I have an electric shaver and when the head is new, it really is as good as a wet shave. Unfortunately, despite using the correct cleaning/lubricating and charging dock, they only stay sharp for three months at best. They are supposed to last 18 months and at £45 a time, I’m fed up with replacing them.

Sponsored Links
I’ve just gone back to them. I have an electric shaver and when the head is new, it really is as good as a wet shave. Unfortunately, despite using the correct cleaning/lubricating and charging dock, they only stay sharp for three months at best. They are supposed to last 18 months and at £45 a time, I’m fed up with replacing them.

I used an electric for a few years. Always aggravated my dome! Spots etc.

Cant beat a proper wet shave, with good quality shaving soap, brush and blade.

Reactions: CBW
Back in the day, yes I used a DE, and bits of tissue stuck on the nicks - but I wouldn't use one now.
I did buy and try a DE, a few years ago, but only used it once - once was enough.
Maybe give it another shot? I tried a cheapo Baili one from Amazon years ago and it was hit and miss, then I tried the Wilkinson sword plastic DE which was a marked improvement. Then I made the upgrade to a Muhle R89 - rated as one of the best to begin with - this gave me decent shaves.

I now have a Fatip piccolo, but this is also hit and miss, I have a Parker semi-slant razor and this is the best shave I get now. There’s plenty of websites and YT videos if you want per to try again. One of the best ones is Mantic59/Sharpologist.com. Badgerandblade is a good forum too. Shavenation.com provides some great videos and advice.

It’s all about the preparation and finding a blade and cream that works for you. I currently use the body shop shave cream which is one of the best I’ve tried so far. As for blades: Wilkinson sword, Kai, Personna in my current range. I did like some Gillette ones but they’re made in Russia, so I don’t buy them currently.

I highly recommend an adjustable one from Shein - I had one, which didn’t last long as you can imagine, but gave me decent shaves and helped with my technique

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Maybe you should try wet shaving again? See my above post.

I use the cheapest disposable razors I can find. A bag of 10 last me around 6 months.
Electric razors I find take 2 or 3 times longer to get a decent shave.

One of the advantages of an electric shaver is that you can shave while you shìt.,

Twice a week shave, head and neck as i have beard. And, i only shave 'with the grain' too. Makes for a pain free, spot free shave, most of the time!

For the closest shave, I cover each area, going all ways and multiple times. A good close shave, then lasts me a couple of days.

I've tried a variety of aerosol shaving foams, creams, and gels - I find gels work best for me, but little difference between any of the gels, apart from colour and smell, so I buy a really cheap one, Raze Sensitive, in a blue and white can, often sold by Home Bargains, for £1 a can.

Last edited:
For the closest shave, I cover each area, going all ways and multiple times. A good close shave, then lasts me a couple of days.
A DE shave I can get a damn fine shave (dfs) or even a baby bum smooth (bbs) in 2-3 passes depending on which blade and razor I’m using.

Edit: even Gillette have produced a safety razor again with blades to suit.

Last edited:
Electric shavers always leave my skin a little raw, so I avoid as much as possible. I get a similar effect, though not quite so bad, when I try to wet shave in the washbasin, I get the best, easiest, and most comfortable shave, during and after - whilst having a soak in the bath. A bonus, seems to be - the blades last much longer, doing it that way too.

Electric did irritate slightly when I was younger, but as i got older I developed a thick skin. ;)

They're not for throwing across your face and neck, while trying to eat toast and putting your shoes on at the same time.

A good DE and being in no rush, that's the ticket (y)

Yes, there's the downside. Lack of flexibility. When travelling, I've often nipped into services for a quick electric shave in the bogs. Wouldn't combine shaving and driving at same time - though it's possible. Seen it done before. Same at airport, nip into gents for a quick shave. Not really feasible with wet shaving.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back