Glass Balustrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have purchased a glass balustrade system to fit to a 1m retaining outdoor wall (between patio and grass).

I'll be using threaded rod to ensure a strong fixing but I just stated some templating today and noticed immediately the wall (from front to back i.e. the depth of it) is not level. It slopes significantly backwards.

I don't want to fix the balustrade tilting! Any suggestions to easily rectify this without rebuilding the top course of the wall?

Would adding a couple of washers on the threaded rod at the back work?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpeg
    Untitled.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
The washers would certainly help to remove any tilt but are there any form of covers to go over the fixings and hide the washers, (which need to be stainless steel along with the threaded rod to avoid corrosion stains)?

Yes there is a cover. But yes would need to be stainless.
Also considering plastic window shims. Why do you think.

one thing I haven’t worked out is if I would be better drilling the rod at an angle to match the other rods. Or to drill normally. Any thoughts?

Rubbish drawing but hopefully makes the point.

Attachments

• 4BB61020-4709-419A-A4D6-16C0448B234C.png
    4BB61020-4709-419A-A4D6-16C0448B234C.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
Can you post a pic or a link to the balustrade you have got?
If I can see how it is arranged it might give me some alternative ideas. (The plastic shims would be fine so long as not overtightened).

Thank you. See attached.

Attachments

• E4F331B2-94DD-404F-8F49-648E39FEF349.jpeg
    E4F331B2-94DD-404F-8F49-648E39FEF349.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 808A2284-DA47-471F-AC7E-D82C93C2EFEC.jpeg
    808A2284-DA47-471F-AC7E-D82C93C2EFEC.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 70
You will need to drill the bar vertical otherwise you will be defeating the purpose.
Those covers look ideal but they may not sit quite flat on the brickwork. It will depend how much of an angle the run out is.
Have you considered a small hardwood block with the base angled to give a horizontal base? The wood can be protected with preservative before fixing to help prevent rot. You may even be able to get a local carpenter to cut you some if you make a template of the size and shape. A circular block, fractionally smaller than the post cover, would be ideal.

Hello

I have purchased a glass balustrade system to fit to a 1m retaining outdoor wall (between patio and grass).

I'll be using threaded rod to ensure a strong fixing but I just stated some templating today and noticed immediately the wall (from front to back i.e. the depth of it) is not level. It slopes significantly backwards.

I don't want to fix the balustrade tilting! Any suggestions to easily rectify this without rebuilding the top course of the wall?

Would adding a couple of washers on the threaded rod at the back work?
Hi How did you get on fixing your balustrade as i'm about to fit one myself, did you get it level
thanks
os

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back