Glass cracked above the oven (Splash back)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am a tenant and I have issue in the kitchen.
There is a crack on the glass (Located above the oven) and it is suddenly happened. I don’t know why that crack occurred. The crack started from the sockets plug corners. It is clearly that there is no sign of damage on the glass.

Can you explain to me in details why that crack occurred? As I need a good explanation in order to protect myself from landlord/agent blame.

please click on the link below to view the picture of the glass cracks.

http://imgur.com/80LbjXU

I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
do you mean "oven" or "cooker" or "hob?"

post some photos.

It's probably related to a weakness from when the hole was cut in the glass. There might be heat-related expansion or it might be pressing on something like a metal corner or screw.

do you mean "oven" or "cooker" or "hob?"

post some photos.

It's probably related to a weakness from when the hole was cut in the glass. There might be heat-related expansion or it might be pressing on something like a metal corner or screw.

please click on the link below to view the picture

http://imgur.com/80LbjXU

I can't tell why the crack started. But I'm sure it's related to the hole for the socket. Complain to the managing agents (in writing) that the glass splashback is cracked and keep a copy of your complaint and any reply on file.

Sponsored Links
I can't tell why the crack started. But I'm sure it's related to the hole for the socket. Complain to the managing agents (in writing) that the glass splashback is cracked and keep a copy of your complaint and any reply on file.

I moved out from the property and the agent/landlord blaming me.

So now I am looking for some formal report or letter about unexpected glass cracked from any glass experts or professionals in order to support my argue.

so your deposit was placed with one of the authorised deposit holders. Which scheme was it?

https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-protection/overview

If they put the deposit in an authorised scheme, you can use the scheme's dispute process. The landlord has to prove its your fault.

If they didn't put the deposit in an authorised scheme, you've got them by the short and curlies. They have no right to make any deductions and may be obliged to repay you extra.

https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-protection/overview

If they put the deposit in an authorised scheme, you can use the scheme's dispute process. The landlord has to prove its your fault.

If they didn't put the deposit in an authorised scheme, you've got them by the short and curlies. They have no right to make any deductions and may be obliged to repay you extra.

The DPS is offering a free service which is called Alternative Dispute Resolution.

The ADR requested me to submit an evidence (photos, email, letter, report,…etc.) in order to support my argue.

So I have some pictures of the crakes and I can say there is no sign of the damage. Also, I need to submit some letters or reports from any glass expert to explain my case.

It looks to be a stress failure. The cracks appear to start from the corner of the hole in the glass. Square corners of holes in a sheet of material ( glass or metal ) are the weakest point when resisting stress in the material. Hence cracks due to stress will in the majority of cases start from a square corner of a hole. A crack due to impact elsewhere that reaxhe the hole will meet the hole any where along the side.

Cracks are far less likely to start at a curved corner of a "square" or round hole

It looks to be a stress failure. The cracks appear to start from the corner of the hole in the glass. Square corners of holes in a sheet of material ( glass or metal ) are the weakest point when resisting stress in the material. Hence cracks due to stress will in the majority of cases start from a square corner of a hole. A crack due to impact elsewhere that reaxhe the hole will meet the hole any where along the side.

Cracks are far less likely to start at a curved corner of a "square" or round hole

Thank you for your explanation.

Are you glass expert?

Do you use the plug side, do you switch off the Cooker switch

It could be that there is slight movement with the socket due to everyday use and is probably a stress fracture and goes back to hole cut out for the socket as mentioned previous .

Do you use the plug side, do you switch off the Cooker switch

It could be that there is slight movement with the socket due to everyday use and is probably a stress fracture and goes back to hole cut out for the socket as mentioned previous .

No i havent use the plug side at all. The cooker switch was off when the cracks occured.

Can you post a picture of the oven as well. It may be that the socket is in an innapropriate position, and the heat from the oven has caused the glass to expand at the stress points, and that's caused the crack; also possibly because the socket has been overtightened. Ask them to explain how you could have caused the damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back