Glasshouse design (timer sizes check)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I wondered if someone could do a quick sanity check on my glasshouse design and give me a yay or nay for my timber sizes in the following mockup (the timbers are colour coded).

(Ignore the bay having no support for the minute ;))

Thanks for any input!

Sponsored Links
why so many different sizes all non standard what made you choose them over say 2x2" par [44x44mm]3x2" par[69x44mm] 4x2 par[96x44] 5x2 par [119x 44mm]

Also whats the roof, can't tell if the timber is upto it if we don't know what its holding up.

Will you be cutting rebates into those sizes or planted on beads?

saftwood or hardwood?

J

Hi,

Thanks for your replies!

The use of the two different sizes of vertical supports is for astethic reasons (supports vs. window frames).
The vertical timbers on the bay needed to be wider due to the angle of the cut of the horizontals - resulting in a surface 'longer' then the width of the 80x40.
The vertical timbers making the doorframe are sized to fit flush against the stone while creating a doorway of the right dimensions to fit the odd sized doors.

The actual sizes in that diagram are picked from the sizes that were shared by a couple sites I found selling cut hardwood. I found it harder to find 96x96 and was concerned that 69x69 may not be strong enough, but the more I think about it the stupider it seems to use these odd sizes (may I blame the heat when I was drawing that? ;)).

The roof is where it gets tricky. I am completeing this project started by someone else and the stone base is already built; the problem is the dimensions are just so that the ridge boards (main and gable above door) mismatch by a few cm, as a result the glass (where the porch/main body meets) doesnt/won't quite meet up. (This is also why the doors (already bought) and doorframe are an odd width.)

I got alot of help in a couple of threads about the roof design in the joinery section and as a result I think the best thing would be to use a roofing kit; so worst case the roof will be a timber frame, supporting plastic/aluminium kit bars and 4-6mm toughened glass. Best case is I use the self supporting roofing kit which will have aluminium supports.

The difficulty in the roof design though won't go away no matter what I use to build it so I was hoping to get on with the timber frame and come back to the roof when I had some exact measurements of what I would be working to. The image below shows the kind of roof i'm going for.

In any case the roof will be built seperately so no cuts will be made to the frame in the diagram.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, with regards to the timber. I looked at hardwood as I thought it would be more resilient outdoors but while im not penny pinching with this project if you think properly treated softwood would be just as suitable I would rather go with that.

So would 69x69 softwood be satisfactory, with a wide margin for the roof, or should I be looking to use 96x96 at least to be safe?

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back