Gledhill Boilermate 2 - good riddance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Badly installed by Banner homes, this thing has given me 7 years of grief. Today it was pronounced terminally ill (not too much sympathy from Gledhill, just the £1300 + vat quote for a new one plus fitting)

Well cheerio and dont let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

Plumber has advised a mega flow system which apparently has a 25 year warranty.

Now THATS more like it.

Be warned........

Sponsored Links
post it on screwf*x and i am sure watersystems/dr drivel will tell you that it could be fixed and you are making a grave mistake
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

it probably could be fixed....whether its a mistake or not is anyones guess. :LOL:

bet you didnt look after the gledhill though and thats what the manufacturer of your new tank will say when you try and claim your 25 year warranty in 10 years time :LOL:

nickso said:
it probably could be fixed....whether its a mistake or not is anyones guess. :LOL:

bet you didnt look after the gledhill though and thats what the manufacturer of your new tank will say when you try and claim your 25 year warranty in 10 years time :LOL:

Tech desk at Gledhill say its dead (coil burnt through) and our plumber agreed.

Didn't realise I had to 'look after it' like a pet LOL. Many plumbers have worked on it over the years.... whether they 'looked after it' or not........

Sponsored Links
ah fair enough....that is terminal. i thought you might have the usual fault that most gledhills get.

nickso said:
ah fair enough....that is terminal. i thought you might have the usual fault that most gledhills get.

Not sludge by any chance.

thats what the manufacturer of your new tank will say when you try and claim your 25 year warranty in 10 years time

Now come on, Sadia are owned by a most honourable company - Baxi! :rolleyes:

doitall said:
nickso said:

Not sludge by any chance.

no doubt....didnt look after it you see ;)

You could do a lot worse than an ACV tank-in-tank thing. Cheaper than a Megaflo, faster warm-up AND gives you mains-pressure water AND its output rate per hour knocks a conventional unvented cylinder into a cocked hat! And it can take a LOT more input watts than anything with a coil or external heat-exchanger - which matters if you have a condensing boiler.

One word ... Pandora from heatweb!

www.heatweb.com

Sorry, that's 3 words but you get the idea.

Forget all about unvented these are the future ... Amen :LOL:

Pandora - its just a thermal store similar to all the others with the same potential problems.

Extra pump to go wrong

Extra flowswitch to fail

Mixing valve to scale up and fail

Plate exchanger to block

Still requires expansion vessel maintenance

Must keep the inhibtitor dose up

Standing losses almost certainly much higher

What's the point - unvented is easier and simpler.

Plenty of spiel justifying thermal stores. The pre-package units are cheap and nasty - pushfit plumbing and ball valves on the pumps :mad:

A typical blinkered reaction from someone who has clearly never installed or maintained one.

The original poster already has a thermal store and has finally had enough - the last thing he wants is another one.

Why complicate the hot water system for no good reason.

Far from being blinkered I have seen plenty of thermal stores.

Please explain the logic in adding many more parts (that will fail at some stage) just to get a little more pressure.

Indeed in many areas of the country the pressure advantage will not be realised (here in London is it often down to 1 Bar).

When I see a company using pushfit joints and rubbish ball valves on their pre-packaged units I question whether they are really that interested in quality since any half decent plumber knows they will leak.

Customers often don't see the value in servicing and many such services are nothing but. However unvented cylinders even if not maintained will usually just need the expansion vessel re-charging and the expansion valve cleaning ie no parts cost and minimal labour. Failure to keep the inhibitor concentration correct on a thermal store is often terminal.

Not related to watersystems by any chance? ;)

Gas guru wrote

Pandora - its just a thermal store similar to all the others with the same potential problems.

Not at all.

Extra pump to go wrong

Come now, circulating pumps don’t give very much trouble.

Extra flowswitch to fail .

No different from combi boiler installations where you have millions of em fitted.

[code:1]Mixing valve to scale up and fail [/code:1]

In hard water areas yes. Same problem with any system.

Plate exchanger to block .

Again, the same scenario with your combi boiler. Precautions need to be taken.

Still requires expansion vessel maintenance

The Pandora ? Yes. Which I think is unique only to the pandoro. there are many other makes of thermal store hot water delivery systems which don’t need an expansion vessel.
How many fail yearly on UV systems ?.

Must keep the inhibtitor dose up

Not the Pandoro. The store remains static.

Standing losses almost certainly much higher .

Not at all. The insulation is usually beefed up.

What's the point - unvented is easier and simpler.

I don’t agree. I have fitted UV cylinders. ACV,s which incidentally are much more efficient then megaflows as has been pointed out by someone else and D2 can be a real pain in the arse.

Plenty of spiel justifying thermal stores.

Plenty justifying UV also.

The pre-package units are cheap and nasty. Pushfit plumbing and ball valves on the pumps.
Which pre-packaged units are you referring to.?

The original poster already has a thermal store and has finally had enough - the last thing he wants is another one.

You don’t know anything about the OP,s system or how it was maintained. Perhaps he lives in a very hard water area which has led to the failure.

Why complicate the hot water system for no good reason.

Then install neither thermal store nor UV but gravity tanks and cylinders.

Far from being blinkered I have seen plenty of thermal stores.

An UV cylinder in the true sense is also a thermal store. Its just how the water is delivered to the taps and how the energy is delivered to the stored water which differs slightly.

Please explain the logic in adding many more parts (that will fail at some stage) just to get a little more pressure.

Then why install combi boilers which have infinetly more parts to go wrong.

Indeed in many areas of the country the pressure advantage will not be realised (here in London is it often down to 1 Bar).

Then combi it is. Mid range or lower perhaps. What are you talking ? About 12/Lmin.

When I see a company using pushfit joints and rubbish ball valves on their pre-packaged units I question whether they are really that interested in quality since any half decent plumber knows they will leak.

Which thermal store company are doing this. ??
What type of rubbish valves ??

Customers often don't see the value in servicing and many such services are nothing but. However unvented cylinders even if not maintained will usually just need the expansion vessel re-charging and the expansion valve cleaning ie no parts cost and minimal labour. Failure to keep the inhibitor concentration correct on a thermal store is often terminal.

Lack of servicing on any system usually means lack of performance or terminal failure.
Keeping an inhibitor level on any system is important. Radiator systems through the country are full of sludge and running inefficiently due to lack of inhibitor.
Plumbers treat radiator systems as fit and forget , with the client adopting the same approach.
With integrated stores inhibitor levels are important and it is up to the installer to understand this and explain to the end user the implications if not properly inhibited.

zeroseven said:
Badly installed by Banner homes...Be warned........
Warned against what? Making the galactically foolish mistake of buying a Banner house?

I've got some sour grapes here - stick your address in your profile and I'll happily post them to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back