Gledhill Stainless Lite Indirect

Sorry, no the adjustable pressure reducing valve is right after the 25mm plastic coming into the house.

I currently have a dial gauge fitted to the hot water circuit, as I have been monitoring the cylinder pressure with it.

Different pressures have been tried on the expansion vessel. All in vain.

Sponsored Links
I think that the replacement cylinder will come as a kit the same as before, so can change the valve then.

Standing pressure is 2.4bar.

Sponsored Links
So sounds like your going for a new cylinder?
Will you be trying for refund from Gledhill?
Have you fitted the cylinder yourself?

Won't be long before gledhill go bust again at this rate.

Gledhill water storage went bust a few years ago afaik.

The "Building Products" division carried on. Though its still "water storage" now but minus the sludge buckets.

Okay, here's an update to the saga.

The Gledhill replacement (via the merchant) arrived today and the plumber (who is a relative) had the old one including valve and expansion all swapped over.

When man-handling the old cylinder down the stairs, it actually popped. When the merchant's guys were picking it up to put it in their van, it popped again! It's like a deflection in the side wall, or even the casing...

The new one is now fitted and water heated. After two showers it hasn't popped yet...

Everything crossed in hope here, but that other replacement you talked of that only seemed to work for a week has me V nervous.

Maybe it was just the outer casing expanding and contracting. Maybe it had separated from the foam filler.

Either way it doesn't instill confidence with the product.

The new cylinder still hasn't made the big bang that the previous one was making. The expansion vessel makes a slight noise first thing in the morning, but I still have to adjust that down to just above the standing pressure and I'm sure it will be fine. I haven't touched it yet, as I don't want to change anything for a while. I'm still on tenterhooks with it!

Gledhill received the old cylinder and had said that it passed tests, but when they were taking it off test it made a pop. I believe they said that this was not to be unexpected, but I think that this is the root of our problem and if they are not testing for low to high pressure range, then it's a weakness in their procedure. Their spec does not specify a lower limit, so my thoughts are that the product should not be deflecting in any way at high to low pressure.

They've gone pretty quiet over the whole thing...

Well, to further update this thread... The popping is now back. The replacement cylinder was fine for a good few weeks, but now makes the same noise (from what I am guessing is the casing) as before.

The only upside is that it only does it when the hot water is run and not in the middle of the night, so nowhere as bad as the last cylinder.

I definitely will not be replacing with another Gledhill lite cylinder, as I suspect that in my house the dynamic pressure drops for a very short period when the taps are run, this causes the cylinder pressure to temporarily drop. The cylinder then contracts and causes the casing to pop. It's such a pity, as the actual water in showers Etc. is fine.

I'm thinking a Megaflow install instead. Since the Gledhill Lite spec does not provide a lower pressure, I will pursue them for my money back. This may take some time.

What a painful experience :(

Can't undertand why you installed the same heap of junk the second time around.

Because Gledhill supplied it FOC and I didn't want to shell out £600 for another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back