global warming: the truth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
carbon dioxide. blamed for global warming. but is it?

we all know the earths gettin warmer, but then we are producing more heat.

central heating
space heater
cars/trucks
plane engines etc

all produce heat. maybe carbon dioxide is not causing any problems, its just the stuff what makes it tht makes the heat

what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Thought you deserved at least one answer - I'd never thought of it like that, but can't think of a good counter-argument. Maybe we should get everyone to turn off their heating for a few days and see if the temeprature goes down by a degree or two......

Hmmmmmm good ideas batman (sorry :LOL: ) but I think it also has a lot to do with disposable nappies and those polystyrene containers that McD's et al like to use.

I also blame GW Bush for not making people recycle stuff.

I did hear that air travel uses vast amounts of tax-free oil fuel, and the average citizen gets through more oil on his annual holiday flight to Disneyland than he uses to heat his house.

I also heard that after the New York airline attacks, when the US got scared and cancelled all commercial flights for a few days, the temperature throughout the world dropped by a couple of degrees. Anyone know the detail?

Sponsored Links
I also heard that after the attacks on 9/11 the only plane that left America was Osama Bin Ladens relatives too Saudi Arabia ........

typical.....blame the US. I'm not defending Bush, but how do you "make" someone re cycle? A lot of people do (including myself)

Unfortunately it took 9/11 for people to sit up and take notice and realize that common/standard practices had become lax and shoddy. That's why the terrorists were here legally. We have all nationalities in this country and they are not branded with a big "T" on their foreheads so you can tell the difference. I don't live in a perfect country....I don't believe any one does, but this is "global" warming you're talking about and we ALL share the planet and we ALL have the responsibilty to keeping it intact and safe for future generations and although it is easier to point fingers, and place blame, it's another ordeal altogether to realize that it starts with yourself ....if you're not part of the solution....then you're part of the problem. so lay off my country! we got enough problems as it is.

mlb3c I wasn't having a go at your country - just GWB. When we visited the USA I asked about recycling and was told that the US was too big to bother with recycling. I was told this in more than one place - i was mortified!

I recycle as much as I can and always have :D

Brightness said:
mlb3c I wasn't having a go at your country - just GWB. When we visited the USA I asked about recycling and was told that the US was too big to bother with recycling. I was told this in more than one place - i was mortified!

Who did you ask? The worlds getting warmer its getting colder its getting warmer its getting colder, thats what it does and always has done dont worry about it :LOL:

Brightness said:

I know....he's (Bush) like a big pimple that won't go away.
My favorite president was Jimmy Carter...he is a true humanitarian and wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty....he's being criticized heavily right now because he wants money to go to the palestinian people not the Pal. govt by sending money through the united nations....last night on news, they practically called him a traitor....he has a great deal of integrity (one of my favorite characteristics in a person)

Well said Mlb...Jimmy Carter...great man.
Respect that guy a lot for what he continues to do aswell.
Sad way some didn't appreciate him enough and way hostages were released hours after he vacated presidency for Reagan, after all his efforts for the peace process.

Jimmy Carter sure does have integrity - a true gent. :D

And so it darned well should - why send it to the rich govt.s to spend on arms and weapons - it should go to the people :cry:

Global warming might indeed be real. But it's also true that the weather has changed substantially and rapidly before.

An example can be had by just looking at any of the paintings depicting Holland in the 17th and 18th centuries. Those paintings show people SKATING on the canals in Holland. And, quite obviously, the ice must have been thick enough for them to do that in relative safety, and that means prolonged very cold weather. Also, for there to have been a market for ice skates with which to skate on canals in the winter, then this cold weather in Europe at the time must have been an on-going occurance.

And, as long as people alive today remember, it's never been cold enough in Holland, even in the worst winters, to have ice on the canals thick enough for someone to skate on.

So, then, to what do we attribute the warming that happened in northern Europe since those paintings were painted? Global warming again? Surely there was no global warming due to our burning of hydrocarbon fuels before we even had cars, or central heating in our homes.

Mlb3c:
I used to post on an internet DIY forum based in the US before coming here, and during my time on that web site, I got to know a fair number of Americans. I've never seen as much grassroots opposition to the way a Commander In Chief has conducted foreign relations as I am seeing with George W. Bush. I think most Americans simply feel he did not treat the decision to go to war as the very last resort it should be simply because he felt it would be an easy victory over the Iraqis. Truth is, it was an easy victory over the Iraqi army. It's re-establishing some semblance of law and order in a country boiling over with ethnic hatred and general skepticism of the US army's motive in invading Iraq that's causing the ongoing problems. The Iraqis are very much concerned that the US army is an occupying force, and not a liberating force.
Unfortunately, that force has to remain there until the Iraqi government is sufficiently well established and strong enough to deal with civil unrest themselves. Otherwise the country slides inexorably into a civil war, or a state of perpetual civil war like so many African countries.
I think the lesson we all learn from this is that the decision to go to war should only be made as a last resort and when it's obvious that there's no other alternative. George Herbert Bush took that decision very seriously when Iraq had the strongest army in that part of the world.

Nestor_Kelebay said:
Global warming might indeed be real. But it's also true that the weather has changed substantially and rapidly before.

however, variations aside, the world warmed up more in the 20th Century than it did ever before.

In Switzerland, you can walk today on mountains where no man has ever walked before... because it was covered in glaciers for hundred of millions of years, since before men evolved. Today the glaciers have melted.

Polar icecaps? This is not a "warm summer, mild winter" kind of change in the weather.

nestor-so that there isn't a confusion. I did not vote for GW Bush and I cannot say that I believe in his way of thinking.....his father, George (Herbert) Bush had more understanding I believe of the situation then....the two are not alike .....again I believe that when President Carter left office, everything went down hill in my opinion. he was a "rare" find.

Sponsored Links
Back