Gloss or satin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

about to re-decorate the banisters, skirting and architrave through two flights of stairs and hallway in my house so not something I want to have to do again in a hurry.

currently it’s gloss and it’s stood up pretty well do being attacked by the hoover, general wear and tear and daily life. Personally I think satin is a little more modern but wondered if it doesn’t last as well as gloss? Also is it a little easier to apply satin?

Sponsored Links
I’m not a fan of gloss, mine are painted in acrylic eggshell (Johnstone’s), and have held up well... I make sure the maid :D is careful with the hoover though.

Satin is probably the boy for you... I think water based paints are not as hard wearing as oil based. (y)

Water based satin will stay white whereas oil based gloss will go a bit yellow after time. But then the gloss will take more knocks.
If you buy the diamond satin from dulux trade this gives a much tougher finish and can be applied to the current gloss if it's sanded down a bit first.
You can also opt for other water based satin. I find the Leyland trade water based satin very good. It's about £25 for 2.5 litres. You'd probably have to undercoat before that though. Remember, with the water based satin you have to get it on quick and don't keep laying it off or going over it. The 2nd coat of satin will go on much easier and you have more time working with it.
I'd personally go for the water based satin and just put 3 or 4 coats of it on any banisters or hand rails.

Sponsored Links
Satinwood goes black from hands.

Satinwood is self undercoating, so you can satinwood straight onto old satinwood. If the background is not satinwood, it would need undercoated before satinwood applied.

I always go water based, I don't know if the oil based satinwood is preventive against going grubby from hands.

Water based satin will stay white whereas oil based gloss will go a bit yellow after time. But then the gloss will take more knocks.
If you buy the diamond satin from dulux trade this gives a much tougher finish and can be applied to the current gloss if it's sanded down a bit first.
You can also opt for other water based satin. I find the Leyland trade water based satin very good. It's about £25 for 2.5 litres. You'd probably have to undercoat before that though. Remember, with the water based satin you have to get it on quick and don't keep laying it off or going over it. The 2nd coat of satin will go on much easier and you have more time working with it.
I'd personally go for the water based satin and just put 3 or 4 coats of it on any banisters or hand rails.

Thanks for this! So if I go with the Dulux trade diamond satin (usually use dulux products in any case) will I not need to use undercoat if I just sand down for it to key? I’ve always used undercoat but no idea if it’s always totally necessary.

For new wood I’ll use a primer, but will I need undercoat before I apply the satin as well?

Many thanks!

If it's basically white going on white then a light sanding will be fine. If you have bare wood I'd use the acrylic primer/undercoat (personally use Leyland trade). This primes and undercoats in one go. Don't worry if the first coat seems to pull a bit, just get it on quick. The 2nd coat will then glide and you can work with it more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back