Gloss painting - peeling issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi chaps just got a new house and wanted to give the skirtings a lick of paint.

Before I do I thought I’d scrape any flaky bits off.

But big layers are coming off.

Seems like the yellow bit was oil based paint as it has a sheen. Peeling paint is water based paint?

What shall I do? Peel off what I can then apply the water based paint I have bought? I don’t want to apply oil based as in my experience it always turns yellow. I’d rather it stay white and use the water based paint

But just want some advise on the flaking/peeling issue please

This is the paint I intend to use

https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/products/quick-dry-gloss

Attachments

• 6D16A5B5-AC16-47C5-9C79-A3DB7D0D0D53.jpeg
    6D16A5B5-AC16-47C5-9C79-A3DB7D0D0D53.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 261
Sponsored Links
Probably applied by a previous person who didnt key the surface with glasspaper....
Remove what you can, but if its a real bore then a coat of Zinsser primer will help seal the surface.
John :)

Thanks - I scraped off what I could and applied the water gloss I bought seems to be sticking

Will apply zinsser in problem areas as I have some left from a bathroom ceiling where it was flaking too

Thanks!

I groan whenever I encounter waterbased finishes that haven't been keyed. I invariably end up having to scrape all of the paint off so that I can then sand the previous paint flat.

Sponsored Links
Only reason I choose water is Cos have very very bad experience with oil - it starts off super brilliant white then goes yellow

Whiteness > smoothness then takes over lol

OB will discolour as a result of a lack of UV light.

2K paints and shellac based paints won't yellow and although far more durable than WB paints, they are more difficult to apply and the catalyst used in 2K paints is isocyanide which requires appropriate breathing equipment.

Probably applied by a previous person who didnt key the surface with glasspaper....
:)

You MUST sand down all gloss paintwork, no matter how good condition it seems, before applying new paint.

All the loose paint needs removing, even the stuff that doesn't easily come off could really do with removing, in case it becomes loose later on.

Then rub down all the old gloss which was under the loose paint.

You risk the new paint peeling off if you don't rub down the old gloss.

New paint, particularly water-based, will not stick to old oil-based gloss.

Water-based paint, when fully cured after a few days, can often peel when applied over old oil-based gloss.

Last edited:
Oh damn. I’ve only just read this and applied water based paint to the old oil based paint.

There’s actually layers and layers of it I don’t think I was ever going to get it all off to be fair.

I hope it sticks now as I’ve finished the room all skirting boards and architrave. It seems ok. Touch wood it stays.

My bigger issue was the “finish”

The roller gives it an almost patch - rough finish.the brush gives it a smoother finish but the brush marks really show the “lines”

It’ll probabaly show less with oil paint but as I’ve stated before I want to avoid this as it always yellows.

Any advice is appreciated on the “finish”

I use Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 and Johnsons Trade Water Based Gloss, after good sanding. Application using a good quality synthetic brush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back