glow worm 30cxi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!, please...

...I have just moved into a property which has a 30cxi.

It provides domestic hot water just fine, but...
...I now want central heating; turning the programmer to constant; nothing, even with the c/heating thermostat turned fully closed.

Something else is odd; the circulating pump operates when the boiler fires for hot water; and stops a few moments after the gas to the burners is turned off?

Phoned GW tech support; was told that this was not a known problem & that I would need a service.
Any ideas?
I am happy/competent to change the PCB if this is the most likely fault. They seem to cost about £40 on ebay (where I got them for Pottertons on previous houses).

Thanks

Jan

Sponsored Links
As you have hot water the chances are the boiler is fine, could be faulty thermostat but you need someone with a multimeter to find your fault, throwing parts at your boiler is not going to fix it in a hurry.

Thank you for bothering to reply.

I have a multimeter; what would you suggest that I measure?

Why might the pump operate when all that I want is hot water?

Jan

The pump needs to operate for hot water, download the instructions for your boiler and it will tell you what voltages to expect depending on how the stat is connected.

Sponsored Links
Probably no help... I've a 30ci glowworm.
If the heating control is set to summer (sunshine logo) the heating won't fire-up, even if it's on constant.
Might be worth a check before you start clowning around.

:D

Also, on the digital display, you usually get error codes like F4 if there are defective parts.

When all else has failed .........

read the instructions.

There are no error codes...nor a sunshine setting on my controller.
Jan

I wonder if @Jan1 has the central heating stat (bottom of boiler,left hand side) turned up ?

Yes, the central heating stat to the left of the display is fully clockwise...

Problem solved! though much time wasted first...
...I changed the main PCB; problem as before. (Sent replacement back.)

...then, following the fault tracing chart towards the end of the manual, I saw the advice to look at the interface PCB.

Moved the main PCB to one side and saw that the connector to the interface PCB had come off; pushed it back and all works.

Thanks to all those who posted suggestions.

Jan

A boiler/heating expert who looked at the boiler told me I should replace it (probably meaning, I should pay him to replace it!)

PS ...I'm sure many will want to post "RTFM"...

...they are right!

Jan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back