Glow worm boiler and CH system problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody, first posting on this site, hope someone can assist?

Our 13 year old house has a Glow worm RF boiler (not combi) and all the original rads, etc. with a Honeywell programmer and room stat. We moved in 3 months ago and on subsequentley starting up the CH, I had trouble getting it to work properly. It seemed the programmer wasn't operating as it should. Eventually all was ok Then we had a leaking rad valve so I drained system down, refilled and bled and all ok for a couple of months.

Yesterday I completely removed 2 rads and blanked the pipes to these rads off. Refilled the system and bled it but now have major probs.

Setting programmer to continuous(red light is on) and room stat up, the boiler starts up but cuts off after about 5 minutes. No rads get hot. The pump upstairs is noisy. Not squeaking, more a loud sort of tinkling tinny noise.

Question is; Is the problem with the pump? Have I messed up the system by removing 2 rads? Is the programmer faulty?

Or anything else???

PS Does the pump need bleeding? If so, how to do?

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance.............

Sponsored Links
er very embarrassed to say this but, loads if air in the system. Far more than I've ever had in any other and eventually it's sorted itself out. Seems strange that not even one rad was getting even remotely warm!

Sponsored Links
yep good answer!! I did put service valves (?) on two of them (because I will add to them later) and let the water/ air run through those but on the other two I just used compression end stops. Could have just opened them up slightly I guess. Will know for next time now!

Many thanks for the replies................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back