Glow worm Boiler leaks when refilling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just drained my system and replaced two radiators.
When I try and refill the system all of the water comes straight out of the little hole shown in the attached pic.
I assume it is a pressure release valve and is faulty.
Before I get a plumber round I want to make sure there isn't something I can try first.
For example, what are the small metal things shown in the second pic?
Any help would be appreciated.
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0932.jpg
    IMG_0932.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_0933.jpg
    IMG_0933.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 489
Sponsored Links
I’m not familiar with that setup, but it doesn’t look like a pressure relief valve, it’s a little more left than that. Could be diverter.

Last edited:
It's normal to leak a little.

In order to comply with the water regulations when a manufacturer has a permanent filling loop/link included in their boilers they must add a backflow prevention device to prevent the risk of contaminated boiler water flowing back into the potable (drinking) water. This one is known as a type CA device.

The mechanism inside shuttles back and forth when filling with an inevitable loss of water.
As long as it doesn't leak too much when filling or continue to drip when the filling valve is closed there is not a problem.

The metal "thing" is the retaining clip for the pipe...leave it well alone.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Just to add...
That's an old boiler given the pink pressure sensor.
Those sensors are pretty hopeless and were replaced a few times by alternative parts.
If you've got pressure problems bear that in mind...don't just keep filling to a higher and higher pressure.

Sponsored Links
This is all good knowledge, thanks.
To confirm, it doesn't leak under normal working, and I don't get pressure loss.
I drained the system and it's only now that I want to refill the system that I'm having issues.
It doesn't leak a little, the water pours out as soon as I turn on the 'fill' tap.
Is there anything I can do, or do I just wait for a heating engineer?

You could try releasing it and taking it out for an inspection/clean out but may need replacing... If system is drained and mains can be isolated then all you have to lose is time and maybe the skin on your knuckles, before having to call someone in anyway!

Its a "disconnector" valve, typically they will drip after filling, if it stops after a minute or two then its not an issue, if it keeps dripping and the pressure drops down then its faulty and would need replacing, probably along with a few other parts as mentioned the pressure sensor may well not be working correctly, and on these models the expansion hose is prone to blockage.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back