Glow worm boiler won't start up on its own

Sponsored Links
I have only just moved into this house as my girlfriends mum and dad have moved to Spain.
So you're telling me that i have to have the boiler on before hand to heat the water up for the tap unlike in my old place where i turned the hot tap on and it kicked the boiler up automatically?

Right... shall we get back to basics here!

Why would your boiler recognise the hot tap is on? Its not a combination boiler is it!

Your boiler will heat the cylinder on demand from the programmer and a cylinder stat (if you have one). It will not 'fire' when you turn a tap on.

As the water still appears to be cold, you boiler may still be faulty (if you have created a demand).

We are not be to give advice to DIYers on boiler repairs, and if you want a diagnosis, please join us in the Combustion Chamber.

Any decent repair engineer would have had properly diagnosed your problem in under 10 minutes, and if they are reputable would only charge accordingly. If it needs parts, they will be reputably sourced from the manufacturer and hold a 1 year guarantee.

Paul

I know i may come across as a bit nieve but i'm not stupid. i do think about things before i do them.

Cheers

I do have to say that you dont come over as very competent if you did not even know that it was not a combi boiler.

If you dont know even the basics you should certainly have not been meddling inside the combustion areas of the boiler.

Now it sounds as if you dont even own the boiler yourself !

Tony

Sponsored Links
Did you ever get an answer to your problem? I have the same problem with the same make and model. I spoke to a boiler engineer on the phone and he did indeed recommend blowing down the 2 pipes at the front of the unit to try and kick some life into the air pressure switch (not the fan I don't think).

His reasoning is that when I turned power onto the bolier and then turned the dial up from 0 beyond min, I could hear the fan starting inside the unit. He said that's the first stage in the sequence the boiler goes through. The second stage is checking the air pressure - hence trying to get it past that stage. I also checked the pipes to make sure they weren't broken.

I tried it this morning and it didn't work so I'd be keen to hear if/how you got it sorted?

I take that back, it did work. I had been warned the system might take 10 mins to reset itself, but must have been too impatient. Tried it again an hour later and everything is working nicely by the looks of it. Time will tell, but that seems to have worked

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back