Glow-worm bolier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live on a developmemt which all have Glow Worm HXI condensing boilers. A number of these have had seal problems which could be potentially very dangerous. Engineers have been to some of the houses and mentioned that the units should have been subject to recall for this problem. Glow-worm have denied this. Does anyone have any knowledge of this fault?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
it's a combustion seal, originally it was rubber up until april 2006 when it became graphite. on vaillant boilers they had a program to replace all the seals but glowworm said they only need doing if disturbed (from memory that is - it has been a couple of years now)

when the seal cracks/breaks the products of combustion can leak in to the case and have been known to melt plastic parts of the boiler, normally the condensate section at the top of the heat exchanger.

i'm sure someone else who has a better memory than me will add extra info

i always replace them anyway.

Although the same seal is used on Glow Worms, Vaillant Ecotec's and Ecomax's, the only boiler that was included in the 'official recall' was the Ecotec.

God knows why, as those of us in the field know it affects them all :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back