Glow Worm Compact 100e - not firing up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)

Glow Worm Compact 100e - Gas

2) What is / is not happening.

A few days ago the problems really started. The heating was coming on (timer) as normal and the boiler was making all the normal noises that I am used to, yet the radiators were almost completely cold (just had a slight warmth in the bottom of them). After turning the heating off and on a few times the radiators got hot and it was ok - until the heating was turned off only to do the same again once it came back on timed the following morning. This happened a few times over the last few days.

Anyway today I woke up and could hear a loud whistling/screeching type sound coming from downstairs and could tell it was the boiler. On investigation it was very loud outside too and could be heard coming through the vent. I again turned it off and on and it seemed to go and the heating was fine. Earlier this evening the heating came on again as normal but the whistling noise started again intermittently. After about an hour though it stopped but then so did the heating & hot water, and now it won't come back on.

When I turn the heating or hot water tap on, it sounds like it is starting to kick-in and it sounds like the pump starts working, but then the usual sound of the boiler igniting doesn't happen. There doesn't appear to be any visible spark and nothing is happening. The lights on the front all work as normal and everything appears fine but clearly isn't?

3) Has ANYTHING else been done or changed recently.

I had it serviced in September by N-Power and he gave it a clean bill of health. A month or so after the service it has been leaking a few small drops of water at very sporadic intervals. I have never seen it drip so can't see where is comes from and only ever see the water on the side underneath after it has happened.

4) When did the problem start?

The hot water has always been a problem since we bought the house and running a bath takes a bit of stop starting to get the water hot. I told the N-Power guy this and he said he had adjusted things to help. It did get better for a few weeks but then fell back to normal. Over the past 2 weeks there has been the odd occasion when it has taken over 5 mins to get any hot water at all after turning it on and off a lot. I guess it is all linked to the problem I have now as it's almost like there has been problems with it firing up without me really realising properly?

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off.

As above, it has been sporadic but has now broken down completely today.

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance

I have tried the reset button on the control panel but that is doing nothing (i have used it before and it has done something). I have also tried leaving it off at the mains for an hour. I have tried upping the pressure and also reducing the pressure by bleeding the radiators - all things that have kick-started it in the past........but not this time.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received before I ring up an engineer. I'd really like to have an idea of what it is likely to be to be better informed when calling somebody out.

Many thanks in advance,
DM

Sponsored Links
whats the pressure gauge reading. can you hear the fan running at the top of the boiler.Is there any water dripping from the 15mm copper pipe outside.

Thanks for looking fitz1. In answer to your questions, the pressure has been up and down over the past few months but has been a steady 0.7 to 0.8 while off, and around 1 when the heating is on for the past week or so.

There is no noticeable leak from the pipe outside although it has been turned off all night. I have never noticed a leak but can't say I have ever really looked either.

If the fan is the one at the very top of the boiler (with the blades exposed and on view) then no, this is not coming on when the heating is on.

Does that give you any ideas?

Thanks again,
DM

From you initial description I would suggest that the fan has failed. The loud screeching noise you heard were probably the bearings. If you have a breakdown contract with N-Power then I would contact them. The fan cost between £160 to £190 depending on the exact model required.

Sponsored Links
I suspect the noise you've been hearing was the fan dieing, but with all the problems you've had and for the amount of time its been left I wouldnt be surprised if there are more faults than just the fan - if that is the problem.
You really need to get a decent engineer to look at it.

I actually saw the drip I mentioned in my first post a moment ago. It is coming from what I think is the domestic hot water micro switch. The bottom looks corroded and water is dripping from there.

How relevant that is I don't know but it doesn't look good anyway.

Thanks giblets & twgas. I was hoping it would be a DIY job as I don't have any cover (mainly due to the guy saying it was in good working order if I'm honest).

So I'll have to ring round for an engineer and put another layer of clothes on for now :rolleyes:

Thanks all
DM

sign on to their maintenance contract and then call them out after the setup time.OR call BG for a fixed price repair.

Debt,
There is a Pressure differential switch that looks very similar to the D/H/W switch set up that you have shown in your picture. It is on the left side of the boiler looking forward and is a pump prover switch ( same housing set up ) This needs to be operating to give C/h or D/w/h. ( via a pin on housing) If not then neither will operate. Switch all electrics fully off to boiler and take P/d/switch ( black with couple of wires to it ) off the P/d/sw housing. Break a cocktail stick and insert in the switch ( to make the switch) and tape over to duplicate actual switch making. Stand back and try system again to see if it operates and visually look to see if the pin moves out on the P/d/sw housing. If all works then housing would be the problem stopping pin operating. At least you will know if it is or is not this?
Regards :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back