Glow Worm cxi-30 external heating controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I've just moved into a house with a glow worm cxi-30 from about 2006. It seems it's never had any heating controls fitted (although previous owner had taken it upon themselves to terminate some of the lighting circuit with screw terminals inside the boiler case?!). I've removed the wire link for the no-voltage controls in order to fit a wireless roomstat, but on testing the CH *still* fires up even though there's nothing demanding it. As I understand it, this is basically a simple circuit which turns the CH on when it's closed and off when open.

I've gone back and forth through the installation and service manual and can't see anything obvious, checked the wires go where they're meant to on the PCBs. Next step is to look for shorts along that route (once I can find my multimeter), but I wanted to check whether there's anything obvious that I'm overlooking or if (worst case) I'm potentially looking at a PCB fault?

Thanks,
d.

Sponsored Links
Assuming it doesn't fire up - with the wires removed from the boiler where the link was - you must have connected the receiver incorrectly or it is faulty.

You will need your multimeter to check.

have a look at your PCB connection J10 is there an orange block connector in there (top left hand side of the pcb) if there is you will have to remove it.

Thanks both - the receiver wasn't even connected, so the boiler shouldn't have worked but it was. ianmcd, is J10 the big block connector next to J1 and J15? (not marked in the manual)?

I've just pulled this out from that block and now the CH doesn't seem to come on (under any circumstances) :D

View media item 74801

Sponsored Links
yep put your 24v wires in place of that link then re-fit the terminal block

Thanks, just to double check though, even though the roomstat is "SPDT Volt Free"?

d.

remove the red link connect one to terminal 1 in your receiver and the other to terminal 3 in your receiver DO NOT put a link between L+1 in the receiver

Got you. Thanks - just out of interest then, do you know what the "voltage free heating control" terminal that the instructions tell you to remove the link from is for, the one that links to the controls interface PCB? Is that specifically for a glow-worm control?

d.

Ian, thanks so much for your help. I now have a fully functioning heating system :)

Cheers,
Daniel.

'Volt free' is a misleading term.

It just means that the terminals are separate from any mains 240V connections that may be required to make the receiver/whatever work.

These 'volt free' connections can be connected to anything else:
a battery,
boiler 12V or 24V or of course
mains 240V.

Ian, thanks so much for your help. I now have a fully functioning heating system :)

Cheers,
Daniel.

Hi Dan,

I'm looking to add a programmer to my 30 CXI too. I was wondering if you had any pics of how you wired your programmer in?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back