glow worm express 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, have got a glow worm express 80 boiler, the hot water is fine, when switching to central heating the presser rises from 1.5 bar to around 3/4 bar then the boiler/pipes make a loud banging noise before the boiler cuts out, the boiler also makes a boiling/kettle sound as the presser is riseing,the boiler ia around 15 years old. just wondering if its a new boiler time or a fix job to keep it running for a few more years

Sponsored Links
it is at the end of its designed lifespan. an engineer would check that the boiler was modulating properly, ie reducing its power output as temp. in ch. increases. could be a sensor or an expensive gas valve problem.you need an expert, or more sensibly, new boiler + expert installer.

Hi, thanks for the reply, thought it mite be old age getting to it,
ill start priceing up haveing a new one installed.

could be pressure vessel needs recharging - if it dumps water out PRV then boils due to lack of water. probably will need a new PRV as well

Sponsored Links
long time since i saw an express so just a thought on what it maybe.
Some combis only use the pump on CH and not on HW .
So if the pump has jammed then when CH was demanded boiler would quickly heat up causing thumping and banging and pressure to rise due to expansion.
So check pump is spinning

good boiler and many still in action. call glow worm 01773 828100 for a fixed price repair £215 ;)

Hi, thanks for all the replys , i dont know if this any more info, when i run the hot water then switch the heating on the boiler dosent raise in presser, as soon as i turn the water off ( hot tape in kitchen ) the boiler starts to raise again, ill have to wait to monday to get a long screwdriver to get the pump cap off to check its turning

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back