GLOW WORM MICRON 50FF - ONGOING NIGHTMARE! Help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning folks,

I have a 10 year old Glowworm Micron 50ff that is giving me no end of grief. It's winter, freezing and I'm hoping someone can help me.

First off the problem....

The boiler has been consistently failing to start on timer, mostly in the evening, I come home from work to find the house freezing and the boiler sporting the green reset light, nine times out of ten I reset at boiler by turning nob to "0" and back and it fires up fine.

On the odd accession it fails to fire up or fires up and cuts out again after a few mins, at which point won't reset no matter what I do and I have to leave u until next morning (where it does not come on with timer as still jammed from night before) usually resets fine next morning. This was happening maybe 4/5 nights out of 7, then we would get 4/5 days where would be fine then would fail again. Very hard to diagnose as intermittent.

Current Problem right now.....

Came home from a works night out last night to find boiler had not fired up on timer and house was freezing, no lights on boiler and was mildly warm to touch boiler casing as if had been on earlier, resets at boiler, timer controller, thermostat in my hall and mains elec all failed to start the boiler, so left till this morning and boiler case still mildly warm too touch still didn't come on with timer and still won't reset fire up and still no lights,

If it's dead how can it be warm?

Solutions third far.....

Have had x2 different plumbers look at it and had the pcb replaced for new green coloured one and no joy.

Please note I am not very hands on myself and will be getting someone out Monday (in mean time no hot water or heating)

But if anyone can help diagnose or fancies a call out to Lothian area Scotland please help, as replacing part after part and paying for call out after call out will get old very quickly

MANY MANY THANKS!

Dave

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have you checked the pump, the boiler may be coming on for a short time warms up then shuts off because the pump is not working. Also you could have zone valves on the system that are not opening causing the same situation.
Do you have hot water in the cylinder? If so it could be a faulty 3 port valve.
If your boiler is showing no lights then the problem could be on the control side of things and may not be the boiler itself, the microns tend to show flashing lights if its a boiler fault.

Hi, thanks for the response,

The last guy I had look at it seemed to think the pump/fan etc were all ok. But I'm going to get someone different out on Monday and I will be passing them all the responses I get on here, thanks.

Yes, that will start you off on a good footing.

When I cross the threshold I am always grateful for customers telling me what an internet forum thought the issue was, it really makes the job worthwhile.

Sponsored Links
Yes, that will start you off on a good footing.

When I cross the threshold I am always grateful for customers telling me what an internet forum thought the issue was, it really makes the job worthwhile.
I know what you mean there, it's always wonderful to have a customer tell you that he's not overly confident in your abilities, and that he'd like you to follow instructions off the Internet, as soon as you arrive at the door!

Steady on guys, ffs, I always refer to the professionals judgment on these things and I'd never tell anyone how to do their job. I'm only on this forum for help because I've had two plumbers up already and it's getting worse not better.

I will update post after next engineer visit with his feedback.

Thanks again

Dave

Last edited:
You should not have to pay for a wrong diagnosis or for parts fitted which did not effect a cure.

I do hope you were not paying for that!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back