Glow-worm swiftflow 75/80 - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just moved into a rented flat, which has a Glow-worm Swiftflow 75/80 boiler. I've got a few really basic questions about the boiler, I have no idea about boilers or how they work. A manual would be extremely handy but I don't have one and that particular manual doesn't appear on the glow-worm website. :(

Firstly, it doesn't seem to have a thermostat anywhere, so either the hot water and central heating are on full or they are off, is that normal?! It's damn annoying if it is!

Secondly, I don't appear to be able to get hot water unless the central heating switch is on. Again, is that normal?

Thirdly, (and more technically) the pilot light keeps going out after about a day. I can relight it after a few attempts, but it's annoying and I'm wondering whether I should get my landlord to get it looked at. Is this something I should be worried about? The gas boiler and cooker were both checked a month ago before I moved in, I'm not sure how thorough that check is?

I'd appreciate any help or advice anyone can give. Obviously if it is broken I can't fix it myself, but I'd like to know whether or not to arrange with my landlord to get it checked out properly.

Thanks, C

Sponsored Links
Hot water temperature is controlled by the boiler. Flow of HW will be around 9.5 l/ minute at 35 degree C temperature rise. Central heating- the radiators may be fitted with thermostatic valves which control how hot the room gets but do not control the boiler. An electrical thermostat (must be fitted to every boiler now a days) will not only maintain the room temperature, but also switch the boiler off when room upto temperature. TRVs cannot switch the boiler off regardless of room temperature.

A combination boiler (which your boiler is) does allow heating to be off for delivery of HW. When HW is demanded, boiler starts and heats the water.

If the pilot light is going out I would start looking for the boiler to be repaired. Thermocouple failure often results in pilot outage, but in your case fault suspected elsewhere. Ensure the person looking at the boiler is CORGI registered and has a tick against Boilers on the back of the card. If tick is missing, or the card is out of date, then start again. Checks (Landlords gas report) should result in you getting a copy of the report. Checks are basically safe operation of gas appliances. Cooker rings should have a even flame round the burner, should be restrained (when you tip it forward, cooker should not come all the way to fall forward). Gas installation should be checked for soundness.

Not all landlords are bad. Some will drag their heals to get proper repairs carried out. Examine the gas report thoroughly. It is possible the boiler has not been serviced (proper service not a vacuum job) in a long time and is malfunction for that reason.

Just to be clear - a Landlords Gas Safety Record checks you aren't going to get hurt by your stuff, it does not say that it's working effectively. A bit like an MOT not a service. So what if only 1st gear works and it takes 10 attempts to start? It can still be safe!

Thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately there aren't any thermostats on the radiators, so I guess I'm stuck with either "on" or "off" as far as the central heating goes!

Does not being able to get hot water unless the central heating is on indicate that there is a problem?

Also, I've read other posts here that seem to say that water shouldn't come out scalding hot, which it does sometimes. Is this another thing I should mention when I call my landlord?

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
I thought I was the only one in the world with this boiler, by any chance, have you noticed the amount that you're paying on gas alone to be quite high?
I only moved into my flat last Saturday and I have a gas card meter.
Anyways, I've already had to put £10 onto it and it's already in the emergency! It's a 1 bed flat, surely that's not right?

Anyone?

Be aware that this is a pretty old boiler and there are thankfully not so many left. I am partly guilty because I repair a few each year and keep them going beyond their usual lifespan.

You should have a gas safety certificate ???

As you will see from the old thread which you have added to these boilers dont give much control.

You seem to be out of touch with current gas prices. Furthermore card meters are usually charging more than the usual credit meters, sometimes much more.

The best advice is to get a credit meter as soon as poss. Then you will be paying the standard tariff but about £2-3 a day is normal if you are running the heating much. Are you only heating two hours in the morning and four in the evening?

Also be aware that card meters can be collecting previous occupier's debts! That can be very high recovery rates. The gas supplier can advise.

Tony Glazier

I'm learning I'm learning...

The flat I'm in has real old school devices, (the landlord has installed a pay as you go electric meter, you know the ones where you put £1 in and turn the knob? I didn't know these exsisted until now.)
I've alsways used gas cards in places that I've lived in, but this flat seems to be draining money! It can't be right that £10 on a gas card needs to be topped up before the week is out?
I've come from a three bed town house and a tenner done us fine for more than a week.

No, I don't have a cert for the boiler, is that compulsory to have? (How I'm alive to this age is beyond me...)

My landlord has suggested changing me over to the quarterly bills, which I don't mind, but I'm worried that I'm going to be lumped with a huge bill every three months baring in mind how much money it's guzzling now already.

Oh yeah, and I only have the heating on for about 2hrs in the evening and no more than two hrs in the morning before work. i've resorted to turning it off by the fuse!
Which I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume I shouldn't be doing...

Oh yeah, and I only have the heating on for about 2hrs in the evening and no more than two hrs in the morning before work. i've resorted to turning it off by the fuse!
Which I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume I shouldn't be doing...

By law the landlord has to give you a current gas safety certificate! Make sure you get one.

There is also a maximum he can charge for electricity from his meter!

A quarterly gas meter would be the cheapest tariff. Obviously its up to you to budget for the bill. If you pay it late they will bang on extra charges and install a card meter again. Its totally up to you to get organised.

Gas is expensive now so £10 a week is about right on a credit meter, much more on a card meter!

Do you smoke? Many spend more on cigs than gas!

Tony

Oh jeeze...
I wanna go back to me mums, and it's only day 6 of me living here!

Ok, so about £10 a week (ish) on gas, bloody hell just sounds so expensive.

Thankfully I gave up smoking, I guess that money is going on the gas bill now...great.

A thick pullover will enable you to save most of the gas cost.

The landlord as well as a gas safety certificate should also have given you an Energy Certificate!

He sounds totally dreadful and illegal. Is he called Rachman by any chance?

This is just getting better and better!

Nah, that's not him, he seemed ok, but then again, what do I know?
I'm hoping it's just a case where he's forgotten to give me the certificate...I hope.

If I was to get a gas man to check the boiler myself, could I get the money off of the landlord? I'm just thinking now, the guy that he has to come look at it might not be reliable, I'm not sure if he's just a mate or a proper boiler bloke you know?
I mean, he seemed to know what he was doing with the boiler, but now I aint so sure.
Arrrghhhh!! Too much for my brain!

You can insist that anyone touching the boiler proves he is gas safe registered, usually by showing his photocard!

You should not get anyone else unless the landlord has refused to fix the boiler. Nothing wrong with yours as far as I know.

Your landlord sounds very mean having that elect meter. You should see what charge per unit its set to!

He should give you the TWO certs! Also really an electrical one as well.

Tony

Well so far so good with the leccy meter, but we'll see.
Ok, so to recap: This ancient piece of crap AKA the boiler, might not have a thermostat (unless it's built in, my landlord seems to think it is) the heating @ the water seem to come on at the same time, the water is scalding hot (which leads me to believe that there should be something somewhere on this thing to turn the temperature down) and I should have certificates to show that this boiler is in working order...

Oh thias is going to be a fun weekend...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back