Glow worm ultimate Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glow worm ultimate 50FF Boiler which has given many trouble free years. I have just returned from a weeks holiday, switched the hot water on and all that could be heared is the fan assembly turning and the electrode clicking. On closer inspection I noticed that No.4 neon wasn't lit and despite the electrode clicking the pilot light was lit. Its just that the main boiler was not igniting because the electrode was still clicking. I have taken the PCB out but this showed no signs of any fault. I also noticed that the clicking of the electrode was duplicated with a clicking from the PCB area (but no signs of a spark signifying a fault). Does this sound like a PCB fault or could there be a fault in the Electrode.

Is it normal for a boiler to pack up after a weeks holiday :cry:

Sponsored Links
double check it. the pilot may be lighting but not completely the pilot injector has only 2 very tiny holes these block up. in fact i have just been out to 1 of these myself.

kev

If the pilot lights but it carries on sparking then its not detecting the flame.

If there is continuity between the electrode tip and the PCB then that would usually indicate the PCB has failed. Its often a 1 Meg resistor in series with the flame detection electrode that has gone open circuit.

Just sometimes it can be dust or soot on the PCB shorting the flame detection to earth. I once found that in a Tamil Temple where they burnt a lot of camphor.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
If the pilot lights but it carries on sparking then its not detecting the flame.

If there is continuity between the electrode tip and the PCB then that would usually indicate the PCB has failed. Its often a 1 Meg resistor in series with the flame detection electrode that has gone open circuit.

Just sometimes it can be dust or soot on the PCB shorting the flame detection to earth. I once found that in a Tamil Temple where they burnt a lot of camphor.

Tony

I hate to think what your call out charge was to visit Tamils there. Did you meet any Tamil tigers?

gas4you said:
I once found that in a Tamil Temple where they burnt a lot of camphor.

Tony

I hate to think what your call out charge was to visit Tamils there. Did you meet any Tamil tigers?[/quote]

Although I have been to several temples in Sri Lanka and to the Neasden Temple at Diwali, the one with the Worcester boiler was in North London and the standard charge was £84.

Tony

Agile said:
...the standard charge was £84.
At long last Agile reveals the previously secret amount of his standard callout charge. :rolleyes:

kevindgas said:
double check it. the pilot may be lighting but not completely the pilot injector has only 2 very tiny holes these block up. in fact i have just been out to 1 of these myself.

kev

Thanks to everyone who replied. It was indeed a block pilot jet. What a great site. :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back