Gloworm 30CXi leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my gloworm 30cxi has sprung a leak, well, 2 actually, the 1st one was from the thermostat (worn washer/o-ring) which i replaced, the 2nd seems to be a small pinhole on the plastic housing where by the the thermostat is located. Is this the LH Hydroblock? As you can see i've used some Unibond putty to try and "block" the leak as a temporary fix until I can replace the part but it hasnt really worked. Is this the LH Hydroblock?

DSC_2962.jpg

If so, how much is it likely to cost? Im thinking of replacing it myself rather than getting a plumber out, as it doesnt seem to require any special tooling. Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
75607664.jpg

Yes it's the hydroblock, or "sani block"
Yes you can change it without being Gas Safe Registered
RRP is about £175, you may get it for less.
If you aren't used to working on boilers it might take you half a day to get in and working without leaks.

It's a common failing, they've changed the design now.

Good luck!

yeah think the last one i changed had a copper section where the original had started leaking, as Chris says it is a job you can do yourself, but it is going to be fun, make sure that you don't damage the heads on any of the bolts, damage them and you really are in for a fun time.

One tip get some grease and lube all the orings as you put it back together and make sure you have pushed everything home, it is really easy to think you pushed something home and slide the clip across to watch it all come flying apart under pressure, hence why Chris says you might have a few leaks!

Its also sometimes possible to push a clip INTO the "O" ring and damage it !

Tony

Sponsored Links
This might sound like a daft question, but, I know i need to drain the water from the system, but do i need to turn the gas off as well?
Oh, and thanks for the advice. I have located one for £105+vat, so not so bad all in all.

no need to turn the gas off, however please do make sure to turn the power of to the boiler :D

It's a common failing, they've changed the design now....

...I have located one for £105+vat, so not so bad all in all.

If it were me I think I would be onto the manufacture wanting to know why they have changed the design.

I'm my experiance if you stamp your feet hard enough you will end up with the new part for free!

Cheers.

It's a common failing, they've changed the design now....

...I have located one for £105+vat, so not so bad all in all.

If it were me I think I would be onto the manufacture wanting to know why they have changed the design.

I'm my experiance if you stamp your feet hard enough you will end up with the new part for free!

Cheers.

To some extent your right, but in every industry of appliances, cars etc.... common faults develop, its pretty normal, in fact I don't know anything mechanical/electronic that doesn't have some kind of "common" fault. As long as its not absurdly common then the company has no reason to offer any kind of freebie. The only thing I would expect them to do is make sure the replacement is free from the possibility of failing as easily which in this case they've done.

Yeah you're correct, virtually everything has some weakness somewhere, but sometimes when a manufacture revises a part because of an inherent weakness the part is offered at a reduced price or in some cases changed during a service FOC, this of course relies on the boiler being serviced by glowworm.

With cases like this it's best to try the manufacture for the part first as the new revised part may be offered at a subsidised price on a case by case basis.

Cheers.

I think i will contact gloworm 1st then, see if i can get a discounted part, I have also noticed that the brass component at the front end of this (where the water gets fed in) leaks a little from the outlet point when i try to put water into the system by opening the tap. Is this normal, as seems it wont allow water into the "sani block"... I hope I dont have to replace THIS part as well!!

sounds like the RPZ valve, really common for these to go, also a good idea while you have it apart to check the filling loop, it's the blue tap plastic thing, both are prone to failure but are relatively cheap to replace

as long as the RPZ valve stops leaking shortly after you refill the system i would leave it. the new one will only leak before long anyway.

Had exactly the same part fail on monday. Got home to find water pouring out of the bottom of the boiler where the saniblock had split in the same place as your's. I set about dismantling the part, after maybe an hour and a search for torx bits (3 of these screws underneath the saniblock and one goes into the heat exchanger) After sourcing a part which cost me £116+vat I set about fitting it. It wasn't too bad but make sure the o rings between the hex and the saniblock stay in place. After pressurising the system and making sure you have no leaks make sure that the circuit boards are dry. Mine weren't and the boiler wouldn't fire up. It did the following morning after getting the hair dryer on it.
My boiler leaks from the monoblock when filling the system but stops when I close the valve so I think this is normal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back