New immersion thermostat leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just replaced my top fitting immersion thermostat as old one had failed - see earlier post - thanks for the help b****r of a job, but got it done.

There is now a slow but steady leak from round where the thermostat fits into the element.

There doesn't seem to be any washer/o ring/seal etc to stop this.

Anyone any advice please? What is best compound to use, or does this mean something else has gone as well?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
im afraid it sounds like the immersion pocket has gone. new immersion time me thinks.

Ditto.

If Yorks water is hard, make sure you get the right element for agressive water.

Thanks - hadn't realised thermostat was inside a sealed tube.

Can't wait to wrestle with removing the old element..... better get reading for useful advice.

Sponsored Links
Not something I'd try myself. I have heard stories of ripped cylinders - dont forget, its only copper. One sharp pull on the immersion can tear it. I'd leave it to a professional, or drain the whole cylinder before you try it.

I have a slow weep around where the boiler pipes connect to my old cylinder, but I asked a plumber friend and he said he wouldnt touch it due to the above. Though mine is also corroded slightly at that joint.

new immersion heater.

Sometimes you have to say the tank is past it and get a new one.
Cheaper, faster and easier in the long run.

A new tank will heat up much quicker than the old one.

Not something I'd try myself. I have heard stories of ripped cylinders - dont forget, its only copper. One sharp pull on the immersion can tear it.
Good advice, though I've successfully DIY'd a couple.

Usual advice is to leave water in the cylinder to keep it rigid while you loosen the immersion heater, then drain it all before actually removing it.

When fitting new one, make sure the boss on the cylinder is smooth and shiny, then use the fibre washer supplied. No tape or sealant is needed in my experience.

One that I did was locked onto the cylinder by corrosion. To save damaging the cylinder, I cut off the terminals, drilled a hole in the immersion heater then used a metal blade in a jigsaw to CAREFULLY cut the immersion heater in two, stopping just short of the threads in the cylinder. Then used a hammer to collapse the two halves of the immersion into the kerf left by the jigsaw and then unscrewed as normal. Didn't even take too long but not a method to use unless you're very careful and there's nothing to lose, i.e. the cylinder would have to be replaced anyway if the old immersion couldn't be shifted.

Good luck.

un wire the immersion, crack the seal ( undo the joint a little bit) with the cylinder fall of water, this helps keep wait on the cylinder and you'll crack the seal a lot easier. drain down, take out the immersion, wire-wool the thread in the cylinder to get rid of any crap that will stop the new one going in then fit the new one using the fiber gasket supplied ( i normally use a little just blue on the fibre ) make sure you don't cross thread when installing the new one as copper is a soft metal than brass the cylinder tread will give out over the brass and cause a leak. ( good tip for not cross tread is to turn the immersion anti-clockwise until it clicks into place then clockwise )

good luck :D

Given the fact the immersion has corroded through, and this information from the other thread:
Immersion tank is raised off ground, and too near cold water cistern above it to be able to get thermostat out and new one in! Only about a foot of clearance. Tried to loosen immersion itself with 36" stillsons in the hope this would give some wobble room, but no way did this want to budge.
it really is time for a new cylinder, preferably with side immersions, and/or moving the cws to a more sensible location.

Given the fact the immersion has corroded through, and this information from the other thread:
Immersion tank is raised off ground, and too near cold water cistern above it to be able to get thermostat out and new one in! Only about a foot of clearance. Tried to loosen immersion itself with 36" stillsons in the hope this would give some wobble room, but no way did this want to budge.
it really is time for a new cylinder, preferably with side immersions, and/or moving the cws to a more sensible location.

defently right, i hadnt seen the post u guoted in this. if you cant get the termostate out youve got no chance with the immersion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back