Gloworm 38CXI no pressure!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a few rads off the wall to allow a plasterer to do his stuff in our house.

Today he accidentally opened a TRV and let a bit of water out (no big deal).

As a result the pressure has dropped in our combi boiler to 0.3Bar.

I went to top it up by opening the mains valve thingy but no water can be heard entering the boiler. This seems to come from a pipe which comes straight out of the floor. I suspect that the water pipe is frozen.

However the mains water to the rest of the house is working and if I run the hot taps I get cold water running from them. Surely this proves there is mains water getting to the boiler. Am I right or wrong?

Just to add this is a 300 year old house which was originally 2 houses and is now 1. The pipes go everywhere and it all seems very confusing!

We are cold, please help!

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Yes I am. I have used it before to top up after putting a rad back on and it worked fine. Now I turn the blue know and nothing happens.

Sponsored Links
However the mains water to the rest of the house is working and if I run the hot taps I get cold water running from them. Surely this proves there is mains water getting to the boiler. Am I right or wrong?

Is this statement true?

Yes.

Mickyg's post has the answer to your problem.

Wonderful bit of engineering. If they don't leak, they stop working. :evil:

Great thanks.

Is this a DIY fix or a plumber job?

BY the way, at the moment we cannot isolate the incoming mains. Our stop cock is broken and anglian water can't find the outside one!

Does this mean the job is a no go?

Chris

First of all, take the blue knob off and try turning the shaft with some grips. Don't use huge force, but you need to establish if the knob is actually turning the shaft.

Failing that, you can remove a couple of clips (from memory), remove the filling valve, and see if you can free off the valve from it's seat. If not, time for a new valve.

If I had the pleasure of owning a cxi, I would forget all of the above, save my £50 on a new valve and cut a standard filling loop into the cold inlet and return pipes below boiler.

Obviously, you will need to sort out your main stoptap first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back