gloworm 40-50 boiler's not working!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wonder if anyone can help?

i've got a gloworm 40-50 boiler. the pilot light ignites but won't stay alight, so no central heating or hot water.
i changed the thermocouple incase it was that, but no luck.the flame's a good size, so there's no blockage.
a friend mentioned it could be the gas control valve - does this seem a reasonable idea? or do i just need a new boiler?!
it's cold!

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Have you used correct t/c lead if so then maclaren gas valve has failed (very expensive & have just gone obsolete but there will be a few kicking about if you persevere)

If it's a fuelsaver, then it's probably the fan

... which has a resettable thermal fuse which cuts in and out when the windings overheat

£45 for a fan must be cheaper than a new boiler

Sponsored Links
is there power to the boiler .. check !! the pilot will work with or with out power . :)

yeah, definitely got power going to the boiler.
it's a fuelsaver 40-50, so if it is the fan, can i change that myself or is it a tricky job that requires a person who knows what they're doing?!

cheers

easy job ..
is there live to the fan ?? it is a prosses of ilimination .. <<spelt wrong>>

someone told me yesterday that if a non-corgi registered person repairs a boiler and it goes wrong, that it invalidates your house insurance and is illegal. is this true?
sorry, i'm a bit clueless when it comes to boilers!

cheers

2face said:
is there power to the boiler .. check !! the pilot will work with or with out power . :)

No it won't if it's got electronic ign

The fuelsaver has a sequence board which depends on a) the o/h stat to be short circuit, b) the fan to be working corrdctly and c) the air pressure switch to change over from the normally closed to the normally open position

it will then spark and open the pilot valve

had someone round to look at the boiler, and it's one of the really ancient ones that doesn't have a fan,and was told it's dead. i basically need a new boiler, but don't know any plumbers in the leicester area, neither do my friends.(guy who came out quoted silly money)

i am therefore looking for a non-cowboy, reliable, reasonably priced corgi registered plumber to fit a new boiler for me. if anyone knows of one who is in/near LEICESTER, i would be extremely grateful. (it's getting colder!!)

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back