gloworm hxi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
went to job today to fit a boiler in a studio, whilst there customer asked if i would have a look at the system boiler in the house that he wasn't happy with.

Anyway it was a gloworm (hxi possibly) took the combustion cover off and saw that all the seal had perished. plastic attachment to flue melting. all insides of boiler blackened, what a mess!

Cust says it is 5 or 6 yrs old! I'm not familiar with the boiler, have never fitted one or serviced one! Is this a common fault gents?? Gloworm are coming out to it as he contacted them as i turned it off! They are putting it on a 12 month contract! If it is a manuf problem will they fix for free!?

apart from the obvious replacements req'd (flue flange, seal) is there anything else that is likely to have to be replaced.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
They had same problem on Vaillant version. All combustion seals were converted to graphite as a result. They work but are expensive and must be replaced with each service. Group Service did do some retro calls FOC but their attitude of late is very f*** you where out of warranty faults are concerned. It should've been regularly serviced but that's an excuse for it to stop working, not to catch fire.

Its a very common fault with boilers of that age from Vaillant.

But we dont usually hear of it on a GlowWorm even though they are very similar.

I am surprised that you are not familiar with the fault and sorting it out for them.

Tony

as i said agile i am not familiar with the newer gloworm boilers, i am a worcester accredited installer and as such 85% of my time is fixing/installing these. I have a list mentally of boilers that i don't fix or attempt....sime/c and m / biasi/gloworm / vokera / ravenheat

I work on the premise of why try and be the master of all when master of a few will do. keeps me very busy long hrs 6 days a week. if a boiler fails in such a dangerous manner after 5 or 6 years maybe i was wise to stay clear of them. i know if i fitted a boiler like this in this state after 5 or 6 years i would be ashamed as an installer on behalf of the manufacturer!

Sponsored Links
Yes, but Vaillant is a very popular mainstream boiler and I am surprised that you dont encounter those problems on them.

Vaillant are not on your exclusion list!

If you had fitted it and been on the Vaillant list then they would have written to you about the problem.

In addition when you had registered the boiler warrantee they would have written to the owner.

Tony

as stated ..i didn't fit it! i don't fit anything other than wb....why should i...5 yr warranty offered, like the product a lot. loads of satisfied customers 1% failure rate in the 1st 5 years.

If i fit a vaillant or gloworm i can offer two years warranty on a product i'm not sure of! Simple argument for me!

The last customer who demanded another boiler was a lady who wanted a baxi duo tech 40kw. do you know what that was 18 months ago and i've been back there 4 times for various probs! that doesn't happen with wb boilers in my opinion!

Read the service instructions :!: The original silicon seal neede changing every two years, the new graphite one every five (if not disturbed).

Your custard either has not had it serviced, or it has been serviced by a muppet.

If you don't change the oil in your van, would you bleet about manufacturing problems. If the manufacturers do a FOC repair, more fool them. They aren't doing themselves, or real RGIs, a service by pandering to the FGA and vaccuum merchants out there.

As for your custard tough sh*t your boiler has died, it is going to cost lots to fix. EXACTLY the same as if you went to Ford and said "oil not changed for 5 years, now the engine is fooked - What are you going to do about it? Or is this all YOUR fault :evil:

leave the guy alone,not everyone sees every boiler.

if he choses only to fit and work on worcesters so be it.

i couldnt tell you jack about some makes as we dont even see them in this area biasi,sime,ravenheat so wouldnt have aclue about common faults recalls etc.

Beerlover,typical vaillant/glowworm employye response ther spouting crap when those that fit that product know the seals were ****,just like the laing pumps,rubber hoses,software on 400's shall we go on.

beerlover i concur wholeheartedly! he said he hadnt had it serviced. tough love! boilers are like puppys they like attention! He didn't have the instruction manual (no surprise there, it's only a boiler) and gloworm technical helpline was unavailable, couldn't get through! i know what agile is saying but i am booked up for months. it wasn't my prob in my mind i am so very busy i couldn't go back this week and repair these faults. i took the easy option i agree but i won't lose sleep over it!

if wb sent me a letter stating their boilers could be dangerous in this way after such a short life and required basic gas safety "running repairs" then i think our relationship would be over!

Thank you boilerdoktor, but WB also had a seal issue on their boilers ;)

lcgs: wasn't having a dig at bdr, but service instructions are service instructions; laid out in simple terms for simple folk to follow. If they or you cannot read and understand these, WTF are they/you doing working on boilers; any make, any type, anyhow?

BTW I work on all boilers except ariston and keston. I download or obtain MIs for any boiler I'm unfamiliar with. ;)

which seal probs on wb boilers pal, i am blissfully unaware of any issues! or in fact any "running repairs£" can you let me know and i will follow this up with wb!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back