Using Drayton Wiser with Gloworm Ultracom 30 hxi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at fitting a Drayton Wiser 2 channel system to our boiler - which is a condensing boiler of type Gloworm Ultracom 30 hxi

The Drayton documents make it sound like an easy swap.
However, looking at their manual, it is not clear to me how that maps to the Gloworm manual (section 10):

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/wcsstore...l/ti/on/Glowworm_UltracomHXI_Installation.pdf

The boiler is wired into a 2 gang box, which then runs off to a British gas wireless receiver, a valve, and a pump. I /think/ the Drayton heat hub would go in place of the british gas wireless receiver...but not certain!

See image below:
https://ibb.co/2NHyYYg

There is also a unit with controls, which I am assunmingi s is taking power from the 2 gang box, but comms is wireless to the wireless receiver....and would become redundant after installing Drayton.

Can anyone offer any advice as to whether this will work before I splash out on the Drayton kit?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you have an existing controller and thermostats?

The Wiser system usually replaces them.

The Drayton Wiser would replace the programmer and thermostat/wireless receiver. The 2 gang box, looks like a wiring center, so adjustments would be needed in there, and the programmer would be replaced by the hub, or else fit it at the wiring center and alter wiring as necessary.

Thanks.
Looking at the manual linked to above (section 9.2) the 2 gang white box would be the "230v system controls"

It looks like that is connected to the "R" line that turns the boiler on and off, whilst the zone valve is controlled by something in that box.
What i can't seem to find though is anything showing what is actually inside the box.

Next step may be to take a look!

Sponsored Links
What i can't seem to find though is anything showing what is actually inside the box.

Next step may be to take a look!
Yes, unless you can see through things. Not every wiring center is the same.

Presumably this will be a PCB produced by the boiler manufacturer with various connections? I'll take a look as soon as I am able

Presumably this will be a PCB produced by the boiler manufacturer with various connections? I'll take a look as soon as I am able
Pcb will be inside the boiler. The “2 gang” box as you’re calling it, is the wiring center - not manufacturer specific

I am looking at fitting a Drayton Wiser 2 channel system to our boiler.....a British gas wireless receiver, a valve, and a pump
As you have a motorised valve, the controls operate the motorised valve, and so are wired to that, not to the boiler. I can only see what looks like one, two port valve in your photo below; normally there will be a second one for the hot water somewhere. Is that the case? With the 2 channel wiser, the second channel is used to control the motorised valve associated with heating the hot water cylinder.

it is not clear to me how that maps to the Gloworm manual (section 10):
As per the above, no need to worry about that, you should not need to touch the wiring at the boiler. The wiser controls the motorised valve and it's the motorised valve that controls the boiler, so that shouldn't change from how it is now.

snap1.jpg

I /think/ the Drayton heat hub would go in place of the british gas wireless receiver...but not certain!
If the wireless receiver is only controlling the central heating via a wireless room thermostat, then there won't be any wires in the receiver that relate to the hot water system control, which the second channel of the Wiser would be connected to.

As per @CBW usually the Wiser replaces the programmer (ie the device that is used to set the on/off times for the heating and hot water) which I'm guessing is the old British Gas product, below the pump in your photo. Unfortunately BG products look similar so as you don't give us specific details of the model or its wiring it's difficult to confirm. Finally a small wiring mod is made to the wiring at the old receiver to take it out of service and allow the Wiser to take control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back