Gloworm Micron 50FF Burnt Circuit Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Forgive the long post - I'm hoping that putting in the detail will help...

My 1999 Gloworm boiler's main PCB took a turn for the worst and burst into flames in the middle (near the overheat cut-off connector in the midle).

My plumber replaced it with a modern version of the PCB for a princely £370 and it appeared to work fine for a while, however now it exhibits the following fault:

In the morning and evening (two on the trot now) - i.e. when the system is cold, the boiler will fire up, reach temperature and stop the burner (all normal). However it will not fire up again when the temperature of the pipes has gone back down (I mean I can hold my hand on the pipe - when it's up to temperature it's too hot to touch for long).

To get the burner back on I have to remove power from the boiler (either by switching off the 3A switched spur in my airing cupboard that supplies the central heating/programmer/pump/3-way midport valve or by turning the knob on the front of the boiler to zero and back up again).

After repeating this process some 10-15 times the boiler operates normally (it's on now and keeping the house nice and warm, but I had to keep cycling the power to the boiler for about 30-40 minutes).

Here's an idea of the timescales I'm talking about (perthaps it might give a clue as to what is happening):
Power on: (no lights). 13 seconds later, fan starts, 7 seconds later the burner fires (manual says it's ten, but I timed it), 2 seconds later the burner light is lit.

19 seconds later the burner went off (no lights). I waited 7 minutes and it didn't come back on - in that time the pipes to the boiler were still warm, but I could hold them without any discomfort. Upon resetting the boiler, the process repeated and the pipes returned to normal (too hot to hold) temperature.

The time between the burner starting and cutting out seems to vary (but I've not stood there with a stopwatch every time). It appears (anocdotal evidence) take longer to cut off if the temperature on the boiler is set higher - suggesting that it thinks it's up to temperature.

My plumber is going to replace the wiring loom (another £100 odd quid then no doubt) since it was damaged by the electrical fire.

My problem is that he doesn't appear to know the root cause of the original PCB failing and now the new one is misbehaving - is he going to just replace parts until I might as well have bought a new boiler?

Can anyone suggest why the boiler is not firing up again after it has cooled? (Yes the room stat is still calling for heat - the pump is still running and power is still going to the boiler).

Can anyone suggest why the PCB might have caught fire in the first place? The plumber says that dry joints on that connector are common, but arcing/fire isn't.

Thanks in advance for any ideas,
Darryl.

Sponsored Links
The thermistor will almost certainly need changing too if the PCB was blown. It's usually the thermistor becoming faulty which blows the board in the first place.

Search this forum for more info.

I have never heard of a faulty NTC damaging a PCB. That seems unlikely to me because they are high resistance devices connected to the DC bus supply on the PCB.

Most serious PCB burnups are on the mains fed connections or PCB tracks and particularly those associated with the pump, fan and gas valve where significant currents are drawn.

On later designs there is sometimes a 300v DC fan supply and that voltage sometimes causes significant arcing and burning either on the main PCB or in the fan.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Well, he was supposed to come today and change the wiring loom and hasn't shown or called, so now I'll look for another plumber... Does anyone know a reliable one in the Milton Keynes area?

I have never heard of a faulty NTC damaging a PCB.

Searching the t'internet for Glow Worm Microns needing PCB's and thermistors changing in tandem will prove you wrong.

I can clarify that this is the case from personal experience.

Can you tell us why the thermistor will blow the board?

This is a plumbing and heating forum, not an old wives tales forum.

Are you aware that there have been updates on the electronics for this boiler which has a unenvious reputation for ignition lockout faults?

Spending money on a 12 yr old one is a waste. They were crap when they were new.

i can confirm that statia is correct, i recently changed one, on ordering the part from gas-spares.co.uk (my usual supplier) they informed me that its a upgraded board and its recommended to change the thermistor as well,

The new board is a completely different design. Whereas the old board had lots of descrete components, the new board looks almost empty with a few large ICs on it and not a lot else.

When the plumber eventually turns up (he phoned Tuesday to say he'd be here yesterday), I'll get the thermistor replaced too. I've read this recommendation in several places now so I'll take the majority vote.

And yes, it's time to save up for a new boiler.

Have fun,
Darryl.

I only said that I had never heard of a thermistor causeing a PCB to burn up.

Nor do I see how a high resistance device could ever do that.

I do agree that a burnt board could possible damage the thermistor but NOT the other way round.

If no one knows the answer can anyone provide me with a burnt out PCB?

Tony

I only said that I had never heard of a thermistor causeing a PCB to burn up.

Nor do I see how a high resistance device could ever do that.

I do agree that a burnt board could possible damage the thermistor but NOT the other way round.

If no one knows the answer can anyone provide me with a burnt out PCB?

Tony

Not easy being wrong sometimes eh? :D

The micron boilers aren't the best, but they're not the worst either. At least you don't have to go outside and de-ice the condensate drain pipe outside to get it to work in this weather.

Nice simple piece of kit. No need to keep calling heating engineers out all the time to replace parts and there's not many to change.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back