gloworm swiftflow 80 wont fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The report i got for the callout was, that the customer had lit the pilot then put the heating on and there was a boom and this set the smoke alarm off, i relit the pilot, then turned the switch spur on, the pump kicked in and the fan ran this then stopped and the fan was running at low speed, i then turned on the heating and nothing happens, turned this off then opened a hot tap, still nothing happened, there or no manufactures instructions onsite, could this be a dodgy fan or pcb? any help/suggestions appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
Going from memory these don't have a slow speed setting, the fan is off or on full speed. So that is one place to look, take a seperate feed to the fan if still no vigour, usually tell by sound but using guage, 1mbar differential pressure: new fan, but wd40 may temprorarily restore it.

But what was that explosion about? Is pilot jet in need of cleaning? I use an ultrasonic cleaner, it is an absolute marvel, restores them to new but does no harm. Is after cleaning, pilot flame covering main burners adequately?

Is gas valve malfunctioning?

there is no pump proving mechanism, and dhw flow is sensed with a ball bearing flow switch ( I gues it must have a reed magnet beside it) on left hand side of crude biflow heat exchanger which scales up badly in high risk areas.

Power to the fan goes via the gas valve from the main pcb the pins to the fan are top middleish brown and blue 230v. If call for heat (either by shorting ball bearing switch as a test, or shorting heating controls, and no 230v there, pcb is in need of attention, if 230v there but nothing at fan, the board on the gas valve in need of attention.

this isn't to say that the aps is perfect, or sens tubes are clean and clear.

The do have a slow speed fan setting. If the boiler is 'dead' you often find it is the primary thermistor that is faulty on these.

Sponsored Links
Paul, where do you get your ultrasonic cleaner from, i've never heard of it but wanna give it a try.

I got mine at Harrogate model enginners exhibition but they come up on ebay. Mine is a large one, but you could manage with a smaller one than mine.

I put them in for maximum time which is 480 secs I think and then repeat it 3 times.

VSD's are particularly impressive post treatment.My onebut one like thiswould probably do you.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for that Paul. Also how do you manage to put text in which is actually a link to ebay or other sites? And could i put or attach pdf files into these posts? Sometimes people want boiler manuals and i bought 2 cds worth of em off of ebay but can't find out how to get them to people through this site. The only thing i can think of is to ask them to email me directly and i will attach it like that.

When you hold mouse over URL button far right of options in Post a Reply page a line of example text shows you what to do.

The one where you use hilighted texts as I did, is:

(url=http//blah blah blah)URL text(url) But use square brackets when you actually do it, if I had used square brackets then all you would have sen would have been URL text in blue, but the link wouldn't work because it wasn't real.

When I send a manual I ask for an email addess.

It never ceases to amaise me how many of these people asking for stuff don't post an email address or put it in their profile but when I ask them for one they get all funny with me and start ranting about how they didn't come here to be treated like this. It seems they are so egocentric they can't see the spec in our eyes for the log in their own eyes. if only the world were all plumbers it would be a much better place.

I am poor now I'm a ploomer. There are hundreds and hundreds of them.

just because people buy a gas cooker get it delivered, then realise it doesn't come with a cooker hose or knowledge of how to use it, they ring you and want you to go round that afternoon so they can cook the tea, because you won't they claim "you can never get a plumber".

after the hijacking of this thread :D .....this is a permanent pilot version I think? Powering off/on on these should give pump/fan (high speed) on for 30secs, then pump off/fan low speed. This is a rudimentary self check on the PCB (if this doesn't happen and pump and fan are proved ok - PCB is likely to be gubbed), other than that if no ch AND no hw then you need to look at a common component to both services. If no high fan/no pump on CH and no high fan on HW I suspect PCB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back