Gloworm

O

oompah

I had my old apollo fanfare serviced today the engineer informs me that the fan is becoming seized .The firm that the engineer works for supply gloworm boilers are they any good? and what model should i look for, my house is a 3 bed semi with 8 radiators.

Sponsored Links
Why not get a replacement fan cheaper than a new boiler by a long way.
Way up the pros and cons, up to a grand for a boiler plus fitting and system controls upgraged to standards and savings on your fuel as it will have to be a condenser as to change a fan in an hour no boiler no upgrade of controls fuel used as it is now, to me a no brainer

Don't go for Glow Worm, Go for a Vaillant, their parent company. Better build quality, better diagnostics and a proper 2 year warranty.

Just browsing the web I see bg have a offer on if you have a new boiler before the end of october you can get a sum of money back are bg any good or wouldnot touch them with a barge pole be a typical response.

Sponsored Links
You just need to look at the final price you will pay.

I could offer customers £300 cashback or what ever, but this would just be built in the quote in the first place :eek:

My financial controller says we will wait till it wont work then we will decide but I bet it will pack up when its freezing cold and we will be without heating for a couple of weeks.

Latest BG offer is fee gas for a year, which could work out quite a bit off

namsag said:
Latest BG offer is fee gas for a year, which could work out quite a bit off

brilliant when everyone is trying to cut back on co2 emmisions, let's encourage people to have the heating on more than they need to.

nothing wrong with gloworms, fitted a few cxi over the last couple of years and not a single problem with any one of them, was quite surprised to see others saying they are so unreliable.

well i hope whatever type we decide on is that it is as reliable as our apollo as been over the 20 years we have had it .Its only ever had the high and low temp thermo changed and thermocouple changed .

Not that i owuld ever consider recommending a piece of shlt like a Gloworm, but in fairness an cusotmer of mine that had the misforutne to install one in her new home without calling me first; her installer has fallen out with her and the heat exchanger is clogged.

To my surprise Gloworm have told her that if she gets the system powerflushed they would change the He under warranty - pretty decent huh?

Now if only there was a combi that didn't need a full powerflush?

Good if it's in the first year, but 2nd year warranty is parts only :eek: Minimum of £125 up front before they come out :rolleyes:

oompah said:
My financial controller says we will wait till it wont work then we will decide but I bet it will pack up when its freezing cold and we will be without heating for a couple of weeks.

You may have to wait a very long time for the Apollo to break down again!

As far as Dan's customer with the GlowWorm is concerned thats another case of the Homeserve wrongly diagnosing the fault. They told her its the main HE blocked whereas, as usual, it was only the plate.

The system is not that bad and just about 2 cc of dirt but thats enough to block the plate. I cleaned it and recommended a line filter or magnaclean before the heating is used again.

The installer was quite rude to her and refused to take any responsibility for not cleaning the system properly. She did not want him back in her house. A pretty poor show really but not very unusual. He must be pretty hopeless because he has to work for builders!

Tony

Thanks for that Tony, we have been working for her for years and she has always been very pleasant.

I had to condemn the old E-type that was in her old house recently :(; not very often that happens; but it was spewing CO into the kitchen and the new owner was heavily pregnant.

markplumb said:
nothing wrong with gloworms, fitted a few cxi over the last couple of years and not a single problem with any one of them, was quite surprised to see others saying they are so unreliable.

You have never had to replace the internal filling loop?

Done 6 last week

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back