Glowworm 120FF Overheat trip & gurgling noises in expans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are these 2 things related? The overheat trip was pointed out to me when I bought the house. But it has stopped the heating coming on at all in the morning a couple of times. The loud gurgling is very alarming and I have turned the boiler off on a couple of occasions because it was a bit frightening! It definitely comes from the expansion tank because I can feel the vibrations. The boiler was serviced within 12 mths - i was assured by the plumber. Haven't used him again and my new lovely plumber is v busy so any pointers welcome. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Dont choose plumbers by their being "lovely".

If everyone did that then I would never get any jobs to do.

Choose them on their experience and capabilities.

Did you actually look inside the F&E tank to see if there was 100 mm at least of water?

It sounds like a typical case of no water!

I almost wonder if its a design fault if the o/h stat was pointed out to you.

Tony

Thank you for that, it is helpful. Vis vis my lovely plumber I only discovered that after he did some work for me. I was very very lucky :D. I found his details on Which Local by the way.

I've just had a look inside the F&E tank and there is 17cm of water in there. I can just see that the ball cock is not resting on top of the surface but is 2/3 submerged, but as plenty of water in tank presume that's not an issue.

I did notice that the cold water feed into the tank is positioned at the top whereas in the instructions booklet diagram it is at the bottom. So where is the air, which I presume is making the gurgling noise, coming from?

Sponsored Links
Another thing I noticed this morning (no gurgling noises today) was that after the central heating went off (as per timer) the pump carried on for at least 1/2 hour. Coupled with the overheat cutoff activity, could this indicate that a new Control Thermostat is required? I know this needs professional attention, but I'd like to get along as far as possible given that a) its the weekend and b) my (lovely) plumber is v busy.

Thank you for that, it is helpful. Vis vis my lovely plumber I only discovered that after he did some work for me. I was very very lucky :D. I found his details on Which Local by the way.

Clearly I need to register at Which Local ! Perhaps that could make me lovely as well although I doubt it. I am still wondering what the criteria are for being a "lovely" plumber. I do have nice legs though and won a BBC engineer's legs contest out of 37 pairs of legs which were voted on. I doubt that would be enough, although during the summer I like to wear shorts like the Ecowarrior.

Your F&E tank seems fine.

You need to see if its pumping over. Look at this site's FAQ for info on checking that.

I can only assume your boiler has pump over run although thats normally only for 3-6 minutes and could indicate a minor fault.

He's lovely because he turns up when he says he will, doesn't spend most of his time on his mobile and gets the job done and is a nice person. You can't expect me to know about his legs surely, most improper!

More detective work has revealed that there is a pipe on the vent that feeds into the expansion tank and below the water level so I guess that's where the air is coming from. In the diagram of the system there is no such extra pipework, so it might have been added to circumvent a different problem. The water in the expansion tank is clear but there is brown residue visible. Is that normal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back