Glowworm 18HXI water trap leak and black grit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My condensing boiler has developed a slight leak from the blue screw on plastic cap on the water trap under the boiler. The "seal" was a disintegrating soggy foam thing, so I've done a temp fix with an O ring whilst I get the proper replacement cap/seal. But I couldn't help noticing the water was dark and load of small black gritty particles had collected - a good teaspoonful I reckon. What are they and are they normal?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
When the heat exchanger is first made it’s done so using a process involving sand... this grit can be sand particles left over from the manufacturing process ... or just build up of flecks of byproducts from years of use - as above; condensate is slightly acidic too.

Either way, Perfectly normal to find it in the bottom of the trap. The trap will be emptied during your routine boiler service and then filled back up with water - as recommended in the manufacturer instructions.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back