Ideal Icos 24 black stuff in condensate trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I had this boiler serviced last year (3 years old) and thought I'd leave it 2 years until the next one, anyway as winter is coming I thought I'd clean the trap as this would be ok for DIY and found maybe a teaspoon of black grit in the trap that I had to wash out.

Had a quick google and I think it's the heat exchanger disintegrating a bit, should I get a pro out to service it properly? Will it make a difference or is this normal.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
a drain down and clean out would help if its been two yrs. you can add a chemical cleaner and run it round for about a week Sentinel x800 is not too bad then drain down and then add inhibitor sentinel x100. fill it up and keep an eye on it.

a drain down and clean out would help if its been two yrs. you can add a chemical cleaner and run it round for about a week Sentinel x800 is not too bad then drain down and then add inhibitor sentinel x100. fill it up and keep an eye on it.

whats that gonne achive :?:

the grit is the ally heat ex reacting to the condensate on the outside
not the inside :idea:

fwiw it's normal afaik ;)

a drain down and chemical cleaner is entirely irrelevant to the condensate.

Sponsored Links
no need to drain down as the condense is completely seperate from the system water,the black stuff in the trap is just muck drawn into the combustion chamber via the flue.

are you planning to stay long, TrollJacobson?

if i was you i wouldnt drain down or clean, as its sod all to do with your problem, sorry i misread the thread, i thought he had ****e in his system not oustside. my humblest apologies folks. take it easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back