GlowWorm 30CXI ( Help - Self Isolating at home )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have two kids and I'm self isolating at home ( my son is on oxygen therapy and vulnerable to covid-19 ). This morning our GlowWorm 30CXI was leaking water. The boiler though continued to work. I switched off the boiler and for over an hour, then switched it back on, and the pressure remains the same at 1.5 bar. My understanding is that water that passes through our radiators is in a closed loop.

I have closed the cold water inlet to the boiler, and the water leak has stopped. My radiators are working but I no longer have hot water or water through the hot water taps. Though I do get cold water from the cold water tap.

Can someone advise please, would it be ok to continue using boiler as radiators are still working / unaffected, is it safe to continue using boiler with the cold water inlet turned off ?

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0263 2.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
thats the cold water feed for the domestic hot water.

there is a built in water filter according to the manual, i assume this is likely to be plastic, and has rubber seals, its possible it is this that has failed.

i dont think this is something you can repair as it means removing the cover.

Plumbers/heating engineers are still working for emergency purposes only, and mostly for those that are vulnerable (which you would fall into that class) and wherever the engineer is working he must be the only person in that room, it will need a good clean before and after they arrive/leave for maximum protection.

the other choice is to just keep a bucket under it and keep an eye on the severity of the leak and try to ride it out till this is over.

@sxturbo

Thank you so much for your reply, with the cold water feed turned off, can the boiler still be used for heating the radiators ?

Sponsored Links
@sxturbo

Thank you so much for your reply, with the cold water feed turned off, can the boiler still be used for heating the radiators ?

Yes it will be absolutely fine. :)

Just remember it's off before you use the hot tap. Otherwise damage could occur as the heat won't be able to transfer the heat

@ianmcd

Hi Ian,

With the blue lever open, the water leaks from boiler. I turned it off to stop the water leak. With the cold water feed turned off, I still have heating for the home from the radiators. I'm happy to live temporary without hot hater, can boil kettle and use shower instead of bath. Just looking for someone to clarify if it's ok to continue using boiler with the cold feed for domestic hot water turned off. :)

:)

@ianmcd

Hi Ian,

With the blue lever open, the water leaks from boiler. I turned it off to stop the water leak. With the cold water feed turned off, I still have heating for the home from the radiators. I'm happy to live temporary without hot hater, can boil kettle and use shower instead of bath. Just looking for someone to clarify if it's ok to continue using boiler with the cold feed for domestic hot water turned off. :)

:)
Yes fine to use it for the CH your system has two seperate water systems, the primary water that circulates around your radiators and the secondary water that comes out of your HW taps normally these two waters never meet , but can do if a pinholed Plate heat exchanger, sounds like you just have a failed joint on your DHW side, if the boiler pressure was to drop the boiler will switch its self off, so just keep using it for your heating it will be safe enough

Perforated "Z" pipe just above the water inlet isolating valve is always a favorite failure point.
If left spraying water around it will get into the electrical connections and can cause further issues.

Be aware that turning these models on/off can result in a blown circuit board (very expensive).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back