glowworm 30cxi stopped all heating, multiple parts needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have the above boiler and on Saturday it stopped all heating. I had the breakdown insurance guys out and they have said it needs multiple expensive parts so is beyond economical repair.
The parts they say are needed are,
Main heat exchanger
Gas valve
PCB
Interface
Fan
Electrode.
Does this sound right? I would be surprised if all these parts had gone at once.
Any advice would be great.
Regards Tim

Sponsored Links
Crap though those boiler are, I doubt it needs all those parts.

Any further advice is impossible without being there or far more information - but likely too to be a gas related issue not allowed to be advised on here.

Try a reputable firm in your area like Daley Plumbing & Heating Ltd. Insurance companies are not doing it for the love.

And thus we discover the problem with boiler insurance - you give them all that money and then when you need to claim they find a way of not paying out. Hopefully in future you'll just put the money away in a bank account.

Agree it's highly unlikely that all those parts are required. Was it giving any error codes?

call Glow worm and get a fixed price repair and as they are the manufacturers of the boiler then you have a very strong case to threaten the insurance company with a small claims court if they dont pay the cost of the fixed price repair when it turns out that you dont need all those parts

Sponsored Links
What boiler insurance doesn't cover faults? Pcb?- expect so, heat ex?- probably needs to come out to replace collector. Sounds like the price has been bumped up to make a repair uneconomical. Who covers it?, Bg for example will repair anything as long as the parts are available which these are.

Homeswerve by any chance? If it is this reputable company then a bit of info for you? Most homeswerve engineers are from companies that are subcontractors or pay a franchise fee to get work from them. Then the insurance company pay the subcontractor/franchise a fixed fee of approx £150 for parts and labour to repair the boiler.
So your boiler might only need a PCB but the price of this part is around the £200 mark, so instantly the subcontractor/franchise is out of pocket.
Solution add a load of expensive parts that are not needed to bump up the cost of the repair so it ends up beyond economical repair.
Just a bit more info, I have repaired 1000's of these boilers over the last 15 years and never had to replace all those parts in one go. Also if your pcb has failed and stops the boiler working then there is no way that the fan/gas valve/interface can be tested to see if they are working correctly.

Hi Many thanks for the replies and valuable info. I have had a local independent out and he thinks it is the PCB.
He will replace it today and go from there.
Regards Tim

If that is the problem then try complaining or small claim to the secret insurance cover company that you use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back