GLOWWORM COMPACT 100E PCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have a 7 year old 100E combi boiler and think the PCB is faulty.
The problem is that when the CH is on the hot water solenoid on the PCB starts clicking quite loudly you can see the contacts fluttering making the noise, turning the hot tap on stops the fluttering for a time, another problem I now have is that when the CH is switched off at the thermostat the pump keeps going I have found that this is caused by the CH/pump solenoid staying engaged. I think the problem is the PCB but would like a second opinion.
If I do need a PCB I read on this forum that it needs to be set up, is this correct as I replaced my daughters Potterton PCB last year and away it went.
Please help :oops:

Sponsored Links
Yes on both counts, I've had the same a couple of times with a relay clicking away on the board and needs a new pcb. You need a manometer to set the hw and ch gas pressures on the board which you do with the little black key.

Thanks for the speedy reply you are a credit to the forum, I was expecting the PCB to be pre-set to the correct parameters so why does it need adjusting ?
Could you tell me what will happen if I just change the board without adjustment and also what the settings should be if I can get hold of a manometer before Xmas. :eek:

Some pcbs are just a simple swap, particularly the older more basic boilers, however many require setting up. Other safety checks must also be carried out to ensure the boiler is functioning correctly.

Sometimes there can be several adjustments required and if not done correcty the boiler could:

Fail to ignite

or ignite with a bang

or overheat on hot water

or overheat on heating

and several other scenarios

Either way it involves the gas valve and from your questions you have insufficent knowledge to be competent (ie legal) to set it up. The compact series in particular are very sensitive (due to a cheapo gas valve type) to the board adjustments and it is common to find them burning too much gas...ie not safe.

Call someone in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, I don't do gas so I was going to get someone in but I wanted it working over Xmas as I am currently switching the boiler off at night and when I go out. I can't get a board locally so am relying on the post to get it. Your reply has convinced me to wait until after Xmas before installation.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back