GLS lumens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have a table for lumens of GLS lamps?

I've a job with a 200W GLS lamp as the primary source of illumination.

I'm trying to work out what sort of fitting would replace it with similar illumination levels. I'm thinking either a 2D bulkhead or some sort of LED fitting.

Sponsored Links
Don't have a table but typical output for standard tungsten is about 15 lumen per watt, so about 3000. A 38w 2D should be about right.

I must admit I find this lumen thing rather hard. Theory and practice just don't seem to match up. My living room was designed with two pendent lamps 100W bulb in each, her in draws wanted something better so got two three lamp fittings with 3 x 40W bulbs in each. Claim was these were not bright enough so went to 60W.

Then CFL hit the market and we started with 18W claimed not bright enough with anything smaller. Then she wanted new fittings because the folded CFL she said was ugly, so when to 5 lamps in each with 10 x 8W Philips globe lamps rated about 3600 lumen in all. These were real failure they did not last so then LED 10 x 3W candle around 2800 lumen but looked brighter. So then she claims they have gone dimmer although no change in camera settings required so not convinced however now supplemented with up-lighter standard lamp with spots.

I have same problem in kitchen replaced the fluorescent tube (65W fat) for a LED tube lumen down from 5200 to 2400 but wife claims it is brighter. Using camera I am sure it's not and if I was to change fitting to the new 58W it would be far brighter specially if I used a HF fitting.

It seems we have an odd perception of light. What I have found is you can walk into a room and think it is bright, but try to read a paper and you realise it not that bright after all. I think our brains look at the colour temperature and it is that we see as being bright or dim rather than actual light available.

However that's not all. In a new building I installed 150W low bay lighting and it was great. So it was decided to change the lights in the workshop same area but lower roof, it was a failure. The fluorescent were far better. After that I realised the lighting consultants actually earn their money.

I still like fluorescent and I would use 2D lighting I think it takes a lot of beating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back