Glue for keeping bolt secure.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I am worried about my sign supports/stand-offs becoming loose and the panel moving. I think someone previously mentioned using glue in a similar situation I posted about some time ago regarding securing cupboard knobs.

I would like to prevent the bolts from unscrewing themselves easily due to movement, but would like the glue to allow me to deliberately unscrew the bolts if I want to change them without using TOO much effort or causing any damage (and the same for the cupboard knobs).

Could anyone suggest a suitable type of glue for this purpose? Or even any other method? The sign supports/bolts are chrome plated I think.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Loctite 496, or any other thread locking compound.

Thanks for the replies oilman/Hitachimad.

I hadn't a clue that there was something called "thread locking" compound specially for that purpose! Super!

Yes, I have thought about nylock nuts, but they would only work with a cupboard knob if the knob is on the head side of the screw. It wouldn't work for knobs with holes in them to screw into. They wouldn't work with the sign supports either for the same reason.

So, for the sign supports, it's thread locking compound and if I choose knobs with attached screws, then nylock nuts.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back