Glueing the last piece of laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am completing the laminate in my hall way and have got to the last row(around 2.5 metres in length). I have cut under the doorway to slide the last piece in place, and plan to trim off the teeth on the joints and glue them together so that I can slide the last piece in horizontaly. This appears to be the most advised method with tonge and groove laminate.

My question is, do this for the whole last row, or just the area around the door? Would the joint not be too weak if I did this for the whole row?

Sponsored Links
mdlyons said:
My question is, do this for the whole last row, or just the area around the door? Would the joint not be too weak if I did this for the whole row?
Yes, it 'wood', specially when it involves doorways where you walk, turn etc more

When you install underenath doorposts you have to keep an expansion gpa there also. Try and measure this last piece after you have cut the doorposts.
It might not even be needed to cut of the T&G of the last piece, cause the expansion gap will allow you to slide it so far that it is level with the other rows and then you just slide it back in (the tongue of the last row that's already there).
Hard to explain on paper, I do realise that, but it's how we tackle this.

Sponsored Links
So do you mean I cut the t&G off the second to last row, but not the last row? I have left enough gap under the door to the expansion.

No, don't cut any T&G's if that's not needed due to the space you have/create with expansion gap.

Then the pieces will not join, as with this type of lamintate you need to put them in at a 30 degree angle, this is not possible whilst it is slotted under the door jam. How will the last piece be connected

mdlyons said:
with tonge and groove laminate.
Ah, so it is a click-system and not a normal T&G!

And yes, cutting of the click-bit needs to be done on the whole last row. That's 'easy' click-system for you

excelent thanks, sorry my fault for not explaining myself properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back