Go-between paid £21m in taxpayer funds for NHS PPE

What do you plan to do about it?
I know you seem to be against hearing anything negative about our government, but please be reasonable, this isn't good. This is our money, our hard earned wages that pay tax.. it needs to be investigated and someone held accountable.

Sponsored Links
So the next time I pop down to Mr Singh's for a loaf and he says "It's £5, take it leave it I have extra costs", I can either pay the price or try and get some bread from Tesco - but I know they might be sold out.

So is that Mr Singh's fault? Is he a bad man? Shall I cancel my milk and paper delivery from him because of this?

Not a lot to do, since brexiteers knew exactly what they were voting for...
Stop talkin out of your aris ffs...I did not vote for some dealer to be paid $28M for sorting some ppe deal out.

I know you seem to be against hearing anything negative about our government, but please be reasonable, this isn't good. This is our money, our hard earned wages that pay tax.. it needs to be investigated and someone held accountable.
I absolutely do not. If you look at post #7, you’ll see I’ve actually liked that post by SirG. I can’t ever remember liking anything he posts!

Sponsored Links
if he gets away with it, who's the idiot.....

this is the problem with civil servants & mp's, there is virtually zero accountability

They don't give one for "the law".

They need a good shoeing (while their close protection officers are on shift change) ;)

A fair question. I donated to the Good Law Project that are taking the cases to court.

Are they the 'lefty' lawyers Priti was talking about.

Yes this needs to be investigated and yes it seems to be a waste of tax payers money, but these were extraordinary times and I daresay other countries acted in a similar manner. The Govt acted within UK/EU guidelines,
https://globalcompliancenews.com/uk...acting-during-the-covid-19-pandemic-20200414/

These unusual and uncertain times call for rare and exceptional measures – that is the message emanating from recent guidance published by both the UK Cabinet Office and the European Commission on public procurement during the current COVID-19 crisis.

• In cases of extreme urgency, a contracting authority may instead make a direct award of a contract. This allows the contracting authority to negotiate directly with an economic operator with no publication requirements, time limits, or other procedural requirements.
  • Given pursuing this procedure runs counters to the principles of equal treatment and transparency, a contracting authority must ensure that the following tests are satisfied in respect of direct awards: (1) there are genuine reasons for extreme urgency; (2) the events leading to the need for extreme urgency were unforeseeable; (3) it is impossible to comply with the usual timescales; and (4) the situation is not attributable to the contracting authority.
Lets not forget that during those desperate times the French were actually hijacking UK bound lorries full of PPE.
If there has been any wrongdoing by the Govt, I welcome the full force of the law holding them to account. I doubt much will come of it.

Lets not forget that the same people who made the most noise about the Govt not being able to obtain PPE are the same people now complaining that they managed to obtain PPE but paid too much for it and didn't take the time to allow for more competitive quotes.

Lets also not forget the much heralded 'EU PPE procurement scheme' which was so successful that Italy was forced to beg China and Russia for PPE supplies.

Lets not forget that the same people who made the most noise about the Govt not being able to obtain PPE are the same people now complaining that they managed to obtain PPE but paid too much for it and didn't take the time to allow for more competitive quotes.
Yep, the good ol' hindsighters as I call 'em!

I don't remember that, I do remember people complaining that the government was just wandering around thowing money at people for PPE that wasn't fit for purpose and that they were blowing a load on middle men.

You know, objecting to things in good time.

Perhaps you can find some quotes for this, or is it your memory playing tricks?

Are they the 'lefty' lawyers Priti was talking about.

Yes this needs to be investigated and yes it seems to be a waste of tax payers money, but these were extraordinary times and I daresay other countries acted in a similar manner. The Govt acted within UK/EU guidelines,
https://globalcompliancenews.com/uk...acting-during-the-covid-19-pandemic-20200414/

These unusual and uncertain times call for rare and exceptional measures – that is the message emanating from recent guidance published by both the UK Cabinet Office and the European Commission on public procurement during the current COVID-19 crisis.

• In cases of extreme urgency, a contracting authority may instead make a direct award of a contract. This allows the contracting authority to negotiate directly with an economic operator with no publication requirements, time limits, or other procedural requirements.
    • Given pursuing this procedure runs counters to the principles of equal treatment and transparency, a contracting authority must ensure that the following tests are satisfied in respect of direct awards: (1) there are genuine reasons for extreme urgency; (2) the events leading to the need for extreme urgency were unforeseeable; (3) it is impossible to comply with the usual timescales; and (4) the situation is not attributable to the contracting authority.
Lets not forget that during those desperate times the French were actually hijacking UK bound lorries full of PPE.
If there has been any wrongdoing by the Govt, I welcome the full force of the law holding them to account. I doubt much will come of it.

Lets also not forget the much heralded 'EU PPE procurement scheme' which was so successful that Italy was forced to beg China and Russia for PPE supplies.

Absolute drivel and repeating debunked myths.

Explain why some companies that were less than a few weeks old were given contracts worth tens of millions? Hundreds of millions in other cases.

The companies were not the manufacturers but the middlemen. Why couldn't the Government contract directly with the manufacturers? Why did they need to offer contracts to companies that had zero experience of PPE procurement?

You know it doesnt add up but your identity is wedded to your party which is a dangerous and frankly shameful place to be.

This should cut beyond party lines.

BMJ now hitting out the corruption at the heart of Government.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4425

Covid-19: politicisation, “corruption,” and suppression of science

When good science is suppressed by the medical-political complex, people die

Politicians and governments are suppressing science. They do so in the public interest, they say, to accelerate availability of diagnostics and treatments. They do so to support innovation, to bring products to market at unprecedented speed. Both of these reasons are partly plausible; the greatest deceptions are founded in a grain of truth. But the underlying behaviour is troubling.

Science is being suppressed for political and financial gain. Covid-19 has unleashed state corruption on a grand scale, and it is harmful to public health.1 Politicians and industry are responsible for this opportunistic embezzlement. So too are scientists and health experts. The pandemic has revealed how the medical-political complex can be manipulated in an emergency—a time when it is even more important to safeguard science.

The UK’s pandemic response provides at least four examples of suppression of science or scientists. First, the membership, research, and deliberations of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) were initially secret until a press leak forced transparency.2 The leak revealed inappropriate involvement of government advisers in SAGE, while exposing under-representation from public health, clinical care, women, and ethnic minorities. Indeed, the government was also recently ordered to release a 2016 report on deficiencies in pandemic preparedness, Operation Cygnus, following a verdict from the Information Commissioner’s Office.34

Next, a Public Health England report on covid-19 and inequalities. The report’s publication was delayed by England’s Department of Health; a section on ethnic minorities was initially withheld and then, following a public outcry, was published as part of a follow-up report.56 Authors from Public Health England were instructed not to talk to the media. Third, on 15 October, the editor of the Lancet complained that an author of a research paper, a UK government scientist, was blocked by the government from speaking to media because of a “difficult political landscape.”7

Now, a new example concerns the controversy over point-of-care antibody testing for covid-19.8 The prime minister’s Operation Moonshot depends on immediate and wide availability of accurate rapid diagnostic tests.9 It also depends on the questionable logic of mass screening—currently being trialled in Liverpool with a suboptimal PCR test.1011

The incident relates to research published this week by The BMJ, which finds that the government procured an antibody test that in real world tests falls well short of performance claims made by its manufacturers.1213 Researchers from Public Health England and collaborating institutions sensibly pushed to publish their study findings before the government committed to buying a million of these tests but were blocked by the health department and the prime minister’s office.14 Why was it important to procure this product without due scrutiny? Prior publication of research on a preprint server or a government website is compatible with The BMJ’s publication policy. As if to prove a point, Public Health England then unsuccessfully attempted to block The BMJ’s press release about the research paper.

Politicians often claim to follow the science, but that is a misleading oversimplification. Science is rarely absolute. It rarely applies to every setting or every population. It doesn’t make sense to slavishly follow science or evidence. A better approach is for politicians, the publicly appointed decision makers, to be informed and guided by science when they decide policy for their public. But even that approach retains public and professional trust only if science is available for scrutiny and free of political interference, and if the system is transparent and not compromised by conflicts of interest.

Suppression of science and scientists is not new or a peculiarly British phenomenon. In the US, President Trump’s government manipulated the Food and Drug Administration to hastily approve unproved drugs such as hydroxychloroquine and remdesivir.15 Globally, people, policies, and procurement are being corrupted by political and commercial agendas.16

The UK’s pandemic response relies too heavily on scientists and other government appointees with worrying competing interests, including shareholdings in companies that manufacture covid-19 diagnostic tests, treatments, and vaccines.17 Government appointees are able to ignore or cherry pick science—another form of misuse—and indulge in anti-competitive practices that favour their own products and those of friends and associates.18

How might science be safeguarded in these exceptional times? The first step is full disclosure of competing interests from government, politicians, scientific advisers, and appointees, such as the heads of test and trace, diagnostic test procurement, and vaccine delivery. The next step is full transparency about decision making systems, processes, and knowing who is accountable for what.

Once transparency and accountability are established as norms, individuals employed by government should ideally only work in areas unrelated to their competing interests. Expertise is possible without competing interests. If such a strict rule becomes impractical, minimum good practice is that people with competing interests must not be involved in decisions on products and policies in which they have a financial interest.

Governments and industry must also stop announcing critical science policy by press release. Such ill judged moves leave science, the media, and stock markets vulnerable to manipulation. Clear, open, and advance publication of the scientific basis for policy, procurements, and wonder drugs is a fundamental requirement.19

The stakes are high for politicians, scientific advisers, and government appointees. Their careers and bank balances may hinge on the decisions that they make. But they have a higher responsibility and duty to the public. Science is a public good. It doesn’t need to be followed blindly, but it does need to be fairly considered. Importantly, suppressing science, whether by delaying publication, cherry picking favourable research, or gagging scientists, is a danger to public health, causing deaths by exposing people to unsafe or ineffective interventions and preventing them from benefiting from better ones. When entangled with commercial decisions it is also maladministration of taxpayers’ money.

Politicisation of science was enthusiastically deployed by some of history’s worst autocrats and dictators, and it is now regrettably commonplace in democracies.20 The medical-political complex tends towards suppression of science to aggrandise and enrich those in power. And, as the powerful become more successful, richer, and further intoxicated with power, the inconvenient truths of science are suppressed. When good science is suppressed, people die.

Sponsored Links
Back