Goggles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last week, I assembled some MFI flatpack bedroom furniture. In the instructions it said "For your own safety, eye protection should be worn when assembling this furniture".

I have to ask: Has anyone ever worn goggles whilst assembling bedroom furniture??

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Only beer goggles.
:LOL: Me too!!

Seriously though, I found this:

MDF can be dangerous to use if the correct safety precautions are not taken. MDF contains a substance called urea formaldehyde, which may be released from the material through cutting and sanding. Urea formaldehyde may cause irritation to the eyes and lungs. Proper ventilation is required when using it and facemasks are needed when sanding or cutting MDF with machinery. The dust produced when machining MDF is very dangerous. Masks and goggles should always be worn at all times. Due to the fact that MDF contains a great deal of glue the cutting edges of your tools will blunt very quickly. MDF can be fixed together with screws and nails but the material may split if care is not taken. If you are screwing, the screws should not be any further than 25mm in from the edge. When using screws always use pilot holes. Urea formaldehyde is always being slowly released from the surface of MDF. When painting it is good idea to coat the whole of the product in order to seal in the urea formaldehyde. Wax and oil finishes may be used as finishes but they are less effective at sealing in the urea formaldehyde.
I would have thought, however, that flat-pack stuff should come properly sealed when it arrives?

Assembling flatpack stuff usually doesn't require sanding - and most of it is chipboard anyway.

So, has anyone (and come on guys, own up if your out there).....has anyone ever warn a mask and goggles whilst assembling bedroom furniture :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Maybe not the goggles but definately steel toe caps boots so it doesnt hurt your feet when you kick something when there arent enough screws in the packet or you havent got enough hands to hold the thing up and screw it at the same time!!!!!!

toffee said:
when there arent enough screws in the packet or you havent got enough hands to hold the thing up and screw it at the same time!!!!!!
That's the difference between Prescott and MFI, when a screws is missing the cabinet falls apart :LOL:

I don't know about goggle but I wear safely glasses only because I got used to it at work.

They are only doing it to cover their ars'es..a bloke who I knew worked for the HSE he had a Bar-BQ one day..

Seeing someone standing there in safety specs cooking was certainly a sight to behold

Zampa said:
They are only doing it to cover their ars'es..a bloke who I knew worked for the HSE he had a Bar-BQ one day..

Seeing someone standing there in safety specs cooking was certainly a sight to behold

I hope he had the Bar bq properly cordoned off and the right fire exstingisher nearby also I hope he told everyone where the assembly point was in case of fireand I hope he................

By the time he had done the risk assessment and method statement the thing had gone out :confused:

hope he used smokeless bar b coals and a condom.

well, all the talk about politicians and stuff, then health and safety stuff.... I thought Id add in, if he felt like a dabble ( you know like our politician did that he would play safe at the barb!!!)

ninebob said:
Softus said:
Only beer goggles.
:LOL: Me too!!

Seriously though, I found this:

MDF can be dangerous to use if the correct safety precautions are not taken. MDF contains a substance called urea formaldehyde, which may be released from the material through cutting and sanding. Urea formaldehyde may cause irritation to the eyes and lungs. Proper ventilation is required when using it and facemasks are needed when sanding or cutting MDF with machinery. The dust produced when machining MDF is very dangerous. Masks and goggles should always be worn at all times. Due to the fact that MDF contains a great deal of glue the cutting edges of your tools will blunt very quickly. MDF can be fixed together with screws and nails but the material may split if care is not taken. If you are screwing, the screws should not be any further than 25mm in from the edge. When using screws always use pilot holes. Urea formaldehyde is always being slowly released from the surface of MDF. When painting it is good idea to coat the whole of the product in order to seal in the urea formaldehyde. Wax and oil finishes may be used as finishes but they are less effective at sealing in the urea formaldehyde.
I would have thought, however, that flat-pack stuff should come properly sealed when it arrives?

This is not actually the case, and I'm not sure if it ever was. Current Health and Safety guidelines state that mdf is no more (or less) harmful than hardwood dust, and the amount of formaldehyde released is negligable.
I know this because I checked up on it last year.

Hermes ,
It is because you where told /read that it is safe therfore it is,maybe we will find out in another 50 yrs that it wasn't

splinter said:
Hermes ,
It is because you where told /read that it is safe therfore it is,maybe we will find out in another 50 yrs that it wasn't

I take your point, but I got my info from H&S data sheets, and I can only hope that they have done their research because we cut up 200 sheets per week, and I provide personal protective equipment based on their guidelines.

Sponsored Links
Back