Going from round to square downpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got square pipe sticking up from the ground, cemented in. And putting in new downpipe which I want to be round.

IMG_2592.jpg

I've seen these square-to-round adapters which are always shown with the square bit at the top. I assume they can be used either way around, I wasn't sure if there might be a bit of a gap around the connection if I invert it?

Can I just one of these at just above ground level to go from round to square?

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 17.40.59.png

Sponsored Links
Looks like you will be digging the concrete up or bodging it.

Andy

Yep, bodging it is the idea. The underground drain there is a clay pipe and I don't really have the budget to ask the builders to dig it all up to replace that whole thing. So I'm trying to double-check that using the adapter I mentioned above is a feasible way to bodge it.

Sponsored Links
How about - Fit a square hopper at the top end of the your square pipe, with the round discharging into that?

How about - Fit a square hopper at the top end of the your square pipe, with the round discharging into that?

That seems like it might work. I guess the hopper might look a bit odd down there (and my kids will probably dump leaves and soil into it!) but at least all the connections would be working like they should. So could be a workable solution.

So it seems like people think the round to square adapter thing I mentioned in my original post isn't likely to work? Is that because you can't invert them?

So it seems like people think the round to square adapter thing I mentioned in my original post isn't likely to work? Is that because you can't invert them?

No you cannot invert them the upper part, has to mate by going inside socket of the lower part, other wise it would simply leak.

If cosmetics are not a problem, could you maybe put the end of round pipe in a bucket of boiling water to soften it enough, to enable you to reshape it to go inside the square?

No you cannot invert them the upper part, has to mate by going inside socket of the lower part, other wise it would simply leak.

OK. What's weird is that you can buy these square-into-round adapters everywhere, but it looks like round-into-square does not exist.

If cosmetics are not a problem, could you maybe put the end of round pipe in a bucket of boiling water to soften it enough, to enable you to reshape it to go inside the square?

OK might try that, thanks.

But I don't think the narrow end of the round socket will fit over the square pipe (because on the diagonal the square pipe is wider than 68mm) or inside the square pipe (because on the smallest edge the square pipe is less than 68mm)?

It does not need to fit over the square , simply fit inside it. I would think it will go inside.

It does not need to fit over the square , simply fit inside it. I would think it will go inside.

Ah right, got you. So the narrow end of the round socket is less than 68mm because it has to slot inside the standard round pipes. Worth a try!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back