Going rate for a project manager

DDJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are considering employing a project manager for the build of our house extenion. The build cost will be approx £75-£80K. I've been quoted 5% of the build cost and was wondering if 5% was a bit too steep.

Does anyone know if there is a standard rate?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No there isn't, 5% sounds OK to me. The choice of builder is about a thousand times more important than whether you use a PM or not tbh.

5% sounds close to the going rate. Anyone significantly cheaper might be tempted to skim the trades - the opportunities for a dodgy PM are numerous.

This is one thing I wouldn't skimp on - a good PM will be worth their weight in gold. They'll get the best contractors in, manage all the little details and hide the unimportant stuff from the client, yet keep them consulted for the stuff they need to know.

First person on site, last person to leave. Keeps it safe, tidy, sweet talks the building managers, keeps the site to H&S standards as well as clean and tidy.

Many people don't appreciate what's involved in project management and don't value them enough. I've run stuff myself and had a PM for a new build 2 years ago and found him invaluable.

(As an alternative viewpoint to freddie above, I reckon a PM is more important as he can take the place of an overall builder and manage all the trades. Many builders absorb the role of PM, and can do it well. Depends a lot on the project - on many, the PM role is full time in itself. On others, it's something the builder can do)

There is not a lot to actually "manage" on an extension - it all runs itself.

A PM is only of any real value if there is significant refurb work involved which may require organising

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back