Project Management

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been getting quotes to have a substantial amount of building work done on my house. This includes -

knocking through a kitchen and utility room
relocating water cylinder
install french doors
building a lean-to cloakroom
converting a bedroom into a bathroom
locating existing bathroom.

The all inclusive quotes have been very expensive so I have decided to try and employ people directly for the various jobs. Most of it is building work and plumbing. I am using a window company for the french doors. I have a polish builder recommended by a friend, but I am going to use a local recommended plumber for the plumbing work. I intend to manage the project myself, I'm wondering if anybody has some advice or could recommend a website/book with information about how best to plan the work. I'm particularly interested in knowing the best order of work.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Polish Builder :evil: .I know one but his dad was with us in WWII.and stayed in UK so he ` ok :LOL:

But I am using a local plumber and a local window company!

An old guy I met once said "I fought two world wars for you". "Are you German as well?" I responded.

Sponsored Links
Order of work:

Go to supermarket: buy tea, milk and lots of sugar.

Dig for, and install foundations and oversite etc (if not using timber for floors).
Knock holes in walls and install door.
While doing this: build lean-to

Further trip to supermarket (include for something stronger for yourself)

When lean-to roof is on, commence first fix (if plumber and electrician are hardy or have warm coats, they can do this before roof is on).

Energise plasterer (at this point you may need to broach the 'something stronger' you bought at supermarket. Plasterers are not easy things to energise)

Commence second fix

Conclude any arguments with enormous tradesmen about paying more money because you (or SWMBO) changed your mind(s) half way through project.

Try to look enthusiastic when SWMBO suggests colour schemes.

Implement said colour schemes and let cat back into house.

Spend first night in drastically modified property worrying about why cat took one look and then left said drastically modified property.

Carry on with rest of life whilst worrying whether you needed planning permission or not.

It's a doddle really :D

HTH

Patrick

I thought it would be a good idea to project manage the alteration of a cupboard to a downstairs loo. 6 weeks later (not including the time it took for Building Control to agree and retreival of quotes) the plumber will be putting the WC and basin in tomorrow.
Here is a list of how it went
Plumber - Lay new waste and connection for air admittance valve. Route water pipes to cupboard.
Electrician - Alter ligt switch and install fan
Building Control - Dry Drain Test (Fail)
Plumber - Seal leaks
Building Control - Dry Drain Test (Pass)
Joiner - Stud Partition and new cupboard door under stairs. New raised ceiling
Plasterer - Skim walls and ceiling
Electrician - Fit lights and fan
Joiner - Lay new floor and fit skirtings/ door trims ets
Plumber - Final Fit
Building Control - Final sign off (hopefully)

This list doesn't include the work I did myself i.e. laying of ducting, lifting flooring
I found there are only two tools you need to project manage
Patience and Luck :D

Probably too late for original poster, but for any newbies like me I've picked up 2 books that have been a great help:

Home Extensions by Paul Hymers £7.99 (ISBN: 1-84330-373-6) and
Home Extensions by Laurie Williamson £16.99 (ISBN: 1-86126-291-4)

Don't know or have anything to do with the authors, but *I've* found both to be very informative.

Cheers
Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back